Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Travis98146
  • 1 Post By TigerFan96
  • 1 Post By Sick467

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Mr Gasket Valve Covers?

Going through the boxes of parts that came with my recent purchase ('65 fastback/shell). Found these - never seen any like them. Does anyone know where they came from? Did a google search and came up with nothing....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve covers.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	606589  

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018
PONY Member

Garage
Those are a rare set of valve covers manufactured by Mr. Gasket Company. They were made for vintage Ford 260/289/302 engines of the '60s and '70s since the 260s haven't been built for a while. I found a set on the internet for $150.

Beechkid likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
Those are a rare set of valve covers manufactured by Mr. Gasket Company. They were made for vintage Ford 260/289/302 engines of the '60s and '70s since the 260s haven't been built for a while. I found a set on the internet for $150.
Thanks - I did see a similar pair for around that, but they weren't an exact match. Regardless, I'll probably use them - they're in much better shape than the originals....

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018
BOSS Member

I haven't seen those since I was in high school! Personally, in my gen, we really didn't think that much about them....guys who bought those typically didn't have the $ for the Ford, Chev etc ones which were a bit more $

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018
PONY Member

They are aftermarket add ons someone put on the car, they do not belong on the car originally and were a cheap alternative to Edelbrock or Mickey Thomson Aluminum covers.
The originals are a lot more desirable to have on the car and can usually be straightened out and fixed up to look as good as new with a little work. If you do use the aftermarket ones, they can be stripped and polished up to look decent but be sure to use spreaders for the bolts so you don't warp them.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
I haven't seen those since I was in high school! Personally, in my gen, we really didn't think that much about them....guys who bought those typically didn't have the $ for the Ford, Chev etc ones which were a bit more $
Nice- I can see them being viewed as 'cheap' back in the day, but they seem cool to this old(er) guy......
Beechkid likes this.

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
They are aftermarket add ons someone put on the car, they do not belong on the car originally and were a cheap alternative to Edelbrock or Mickey Thomson Aluminum covers.
The originals are a lot more desirable to have on the car and can usually be straightened out and fixed up to look as good as new with a little work. If you do use the aftermarket ones, they can be stripped and polished up to look decent but be sure to use spreaders for the bolts so you don't warp them.
I'll hang on to the original ones, just in case my great great grandson wants to put the family heirloom back together original... Good tip on the spreaders though, thanks!

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018
GT Member
Classic Member

I like them. Put some elbow grease into them, maybe some paint and some more elbow grease and make them go fast..again!
TigerFan96 likes this.

Ride On,
Noel

"I'll fix it or break it, Guaranteed!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page