Unhappy owners - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Unhappy owners

As a classic car owner (my newest is 1981) I can't quite get my mind around car buyers. If you test drive a car, whether it's a classic/mid-range/brand new, and you're not happy with the way it handles/drives/powers up, then why buy it. If you want particular traits in a car, then it seems logical to find that car no matter the make or model. I can understand buying a car that needs something repaired or one that you want to make into a race car or a custom body car. Just a questioning mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018
Apprentice

Some people don't know what they are getting into until they are in it. I was one with my 65.... I wanted more our of the car as a goal and kept "upgrading" and with every upgrade headaches would come and I would lose my cool. Lucky my wife keeps me grounded and tells me that I bought the car for a reason and that I should keep my cool and focus. Bless her.

Found myself a top mechanic to help me out and have depending on the fine and knowledgeable members of these forums for support and guidance.

Now after a long year of work on her, she's finally back on the road and, bless her, has had nearly a year's worth of miles out on her in just a couple of months.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Current Stable:
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible (Betty)
2011 Range Rover HSE (Her Ladyship)
2012 Bentley Flying Spur Speed W12 (51 Series) (Bernard)
2014 Porsche 911 (991) Turbo (Yellowbird)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR (Brutus)
2018 Rolls Royce Wraith (Gray)
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018
PONY Member

You can't put a years worth of miles in a couple of months because how many miles you drive in a couple of months is a couple months worth of miles.
Logic is your friend, learn it, use it, embrace it's simplicity.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
You can't put a years worth of miles in a couple of months because how many miles you drive in a couple of months is a couple months worth of miles.

Logic is your friend, learn it, use it, embrace it's simplicity.
Good point, setting the bar higher definitely

What I meant is that I've been driving her every day, every night, to the store, on a romantic date night, rain or shine... just can't get enough.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
DrVett likes this.

Current Stable:
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible (Betty)
2011 Range Rover HSE (Her Ladyship)
2012 Bentley Flying Spur Speed W12 (51 Series) (Bernard)
2014 Porsche 911 (991) Turbo (Yellowbird)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR (Brutus)
2018 Rolls Royce Wraith (Gray)
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018
PONY Member

I think a lot of buyers buy the sizzle and get the steak. They buy the promises the car companies sell and they get home with a car. There are a lot of disappointed Tesla owners because of this phenomenon. They buy the promise of the experience and the actual experience is very different as the bumper falls of in the rain, the body panels are not aligned well, the doors cannot be opened in cold weather without an hour of prep time, etc. My model S was a decent car at first, but got old quickly when you have to go out of your way and then wait an hour to 'fill up' instead of 5 minutes. I stopped driving it and sold it a few months later.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018
PONY Member

I really don't understand the question. There is no such thing as an unhappy car buyer as they were happy enough to buy it in the first place.

Newer car buyers may not have thought the purchase through or didn't realize the limitations of what they bought vs the application. Initially bought for the wrong reasons. Settled for less than they wanted for a number of reasons to include budget, lack of knowledge, something else showed up, etc... Or, its just plain ol buyers remorse or their significant other hates it.

With that said, many old car buyers have unreal expectations, limited budgets, and/or knowledge that turns to frustration after the purchase that leads them to abandon it usually at a loss.

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018
Apprentice

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to jsh13
Sometimes you just donít know the problems that might happen. I know a few people that had late 80ís Thunderbirds, my father included, that complained about back problems after six months of ownership. I drove a friendís car for a road trip up north and after just three days I noticed the bad seats.
If we are talking about old cars, well modern cars are better at just about everything and comparing to the everyday driver will always fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---
JeffH
66 Coupe
302, 4V, SROD 4-spd
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh13 View Post
Sometimes you just donít know the problems that might happen. I know a few people that had late 80ís Thunderbirds, my father included, that complained about back problems after six months of ownership. I drove a friendís car for a road trip up north and after just three days I noticed the bad seats.
If we are talking about old cars, well modern cars are better at just about everything and comparing to the everyday driver will always fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That depends on your definition of a win I suppose. You cannot compare a classic to a hypercar of today anymore than you can compare the wright flyer to a modern lear jet. I'd still like to have both for different reasons.
There are cars yo own as a collectors item and those you own to use regularly and each has different requirements.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

In old or "classic" cars, pretty much it`s "what you see is what you get". Folks shell out a bunch of bucks for a pretty paint job & can get burned if they don`t take the time to get the car inspected before they buy it (if the seller won`t let you get it inspected by a competent mechanic, that`s a bad sign).

Now on a newer car/truck where folks spend up to $75,000 + dollars on the vehicle, folks expect perfection, when they forget that these vehicles are machines & machines by their very nature are prone to some problems. I`m on an F 150 forum & you should hear the complaints. They range from the most mundane, eg. "I just bought this truck & it don`t fit in my garage" to " I want Ford to give me a new truck because the inside of the windshield fogs up on humid days" to " I don`t care about the warranty. My truck runs rough & I want Ford to buy it back. Or even "I just bought this truck & my wife don`t like the color, isin`t there a law that says I have 3 days to return it?" (no there is not")

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That depends on your definition of a win I suppose. You cannot compare a classic to a hypercar of today anymore than you can compare the wright flyer to a modern lear jet. I'd still like to have both for different reasons.
There are cars you own as a collectors item and those you own to use regularly and each has different requirements.

I like your analogy, however can you imagine how disappointed (& crispy) folks would be if their Lear jet only flew 59 seconds & 852 feet like the Wright brothers plane ?
Grimbrand likes this.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
PONY Member

I chuckled at this ^
Then I thought about the Spruce Goose.
kenv likes this.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Coming at this from a different perspective - when I bought my '67 Cougar, it was always with the intent to restomod it. There are aspects of the car that I absolutely love, but I wasn't willing to put up with drum brakes up front, powerboat feel to the steering, and completely lackluster performance.

I did not buy it in ignorance, as I knew precisely what the car would offer. While many purists will cringe, this car is not an 'investment' for me. While I never intend to sell it, I'm certain the changes I'm making will actually increase its value significantly. More importantly though, it will make the car much safer, more fun to drive, more economical, and none of the things I've done couldn't be 'undone' if someone really had a burr up their butt to return it to bone-stock. With the very minor exception of the Shelby mod, which required me to drill a few holes, I'm not welding things on or cutting my car up.

Given my intention to drive the car every day, why *wouldn't* I want to make those changes? =) Not only will I enjoy it more, but other people will get to see this rolling relic and have fun with it too.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
PONY Member

For example I love the looks of the MarkVIII. However the particular vintage has some issues. So eliminate the prone to leaking air ride system with a coil over conversion. swap out the ridiculously low 2.9 rear for say a 3.30 or 3.5 posi. pull the stock ford radio and drop in a double din with navigation nd back up camera.

Now i have a car with 4 wheel independent suspension ( yes independent rear was stock) 4 wheel antilock brakes. 8 way adjustable power leather seats sun roof/moon roof combo. Automatic climate control, self dimming mirrors, computer info center that includes current fuel mileage average mileage and distance to empty! Back up camera turn by turn navigation. Incredible amount of get up and go from the 4 cam 32 valve 4.6 liter and did all for under $8k including the price of the car. All in a 21 year old package.

My 65 coupe was a loyal and trusted friend for 140,000 miles. The winter salt did its worst and the change to high ethanol fuels also did a number on the original fuel system.
I did the body work new quarter trunks and floors. redid the interior painted the car in base coat clear coat as close to the original color as available. took at the time rebuilt 89 302 HO short block painted it and dressed the top end with period correct manifold and cab set up (rebuilt with ethanol resistant gaskets) at a cost of around $5000 in the late 80's i drove the car another 100,000 miles in florida I kept in clean and maintained and sold it 10 years later for the same $5000 i invested.

That's why i'd buy a car that doesn't have quite everything I want. Spend less got more and there is a certain pride in having a car that I did a lot of if not most of the upgrades on.
kenv and Grimbrand like this.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
As a classic car owner (my newest is 1981) I can't quite get my mind around car buyers. If you test drive a car, whether it's a classic/mid-range/brand new, and you're not happy with the way it handles/drives/powers up, then why buy it. If you want particular traits in a car, then it seems logical to find that car no matter the make or model. I can understand buying a car that needs something repaired or one that you want to make into a race car or a custom body car. Just a questioning mind.

Typically those who test drive the car and then 8it after buying it involve problematic cars that give the owner regret they ever laid eyes on it. We've had a few on our site who trashed their purchase on the forums for that reason.

But if there are folks that test drove their car and do not like it for the reasons you said -- I'd like to hear their situation.

I have a Jeep JK and I test drove it on city streets and the state highway. I was pleased with it after the test drive on perfect roads on a perfect day. I soon discovered on a long trip that I really do hate the way it handles on the open highway. Through experience I learned what many others already know which is Jeep JKs (especially the 2-door) handle like crap in high wind, get bad gas mileage in a headwind, and bounce like a horse on rough highways at highway speeds. And you might go a year or two without a windshield replacement due to rocks. So why did I buy it? Because I like the way it performs off road where I dare not take my Mustang. Plus it actually handles good in town, and at reasonably slow 65 mph it gets 20-22 mpg on the highway (minus the headwind).

There are reasons why people test drove their car and later became disappointed to some degree. I hope some others chime in with their stories.
Grimbrand likes this.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
I've bought many cars without a test drive (some were driveable while others needed repairs) for different reasons (being a professional mechanic for one). I bought my friend's daughter's '67 Cougar because: 1. I had rented a new one for a prom dance date and 2. She wanted the car to go to someone that would take care of it. I guess most of the complaints I've read are from people that buy a classic and expect a brand new luxury car. Of all the cars I've owned I never expected perfection in any way, shape or form. To paraphrase Forrest Gump: Cars are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. I suppose my "unhappy" is probably a misnomer and should have been "don't like". In that case it's a matter of repair it, replace it or sell it. Many thanks to all who have replied though most were from members who expected to make changes.

kenv and Grimbrand like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page