A good find for me, and a new Mustang buddy. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By johnwaz3661
  • 2 Post By Sick467

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
A good find for me, and a new Mustang buddy.

So I was searching thru the CL ads for Mustang stuff, and I found a shell of a 66 convertible. It was a factory V8 car, with disk brakes. I went back and forth with emails to the owner, and the final one was that he had another guy interested in most of the parts, but he'd still be left with a rolling skeleton. It would however, still have the 8" differential, the complete front suspension and steering linkage, and the front disk brakes! He then said that if I wanted to come get it, that he would give it to me, as it would save him from having to cut it up himself. I told him that would be awesome, as I had a 6 cylinder 4 lug car, and am looking to upgrade the brakes. So, last night I went to his house, loaded it up on my trailer, along with a couple of seats I can use for parts. He was then showing me his 66 convertible project, his SVO Mustang that he's the original owner of, and we had a nice chat about Mustang projects. He took my offer of some Sam Adams, since he wouldn't take any money, and he told me he wanted me to send him pictures of my progress of the brake upgrade. So I'm giving a shout out to my new Mustang buddy Jim, and a thank you for his generosity.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190118_212656.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	607975   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190118_212801.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1,024.0 KB
ID:	607977  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Getting a complete suspension/steering/drive train setup will make it a whole lot easier to upgrade your 6 cylinder. You can swap everything over and have a viable car for a V8 engine swap down the road. Plus you'll have matching 5 bolt wheels all around. You may have to change/modify the driveline to hook everything together.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019
PONY Member

A real beauty that is worth every penny it cost you. Over the years I have had to get rid of lots of those and it is a pain to cut them all down, I assure you.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I've cut up a few cars over the years, and I agree, it's a quite a bit of work. Tho I must say my oxy/acetylene setup makes pretty quick work of assisting with parts removal, and cutting up the rusty parts that are beyond saving.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwaz3661 View Post
I've cut up a few cars over the years, and I agree, it's a quite a bit of work. Tho I must say my oxy/acetylene setup makes pretty quick work of assisting with parts removal, and cutting up the rusty parts that are beyond saving.
Yep, but it still takes away from doing more productive work that is also a lot more enjoyable. I use a plasma cutter but even then, it's not fun.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
So over the weekend I got busy with taking the rest of the skeleton apart, as the polar vortex has passed, so the outside temperature made it pretty nice to be in the garage. I've made a nice pile of parts to keep, and I started cutting up the rest of it into pieces that I can pick up and carry by myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190203_150153.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	608231   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190203_150230.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	608233  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019
GT Member
Classic Member

You'll have to save a piece of the shell, like the ashtray or g.box and dash section surounding it so that it can live forever "on the wall". I hate to see a classic reach the end. At least you were able to salvage some of it's hard parts!
my89foxbody and johnwaz3661 like this.

Ride On,
Noel

"I'll fix it or break it, Guaranteed!"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Spread the word as some of those parts from the firewall forward could be used by someone fighting body cancer in that area.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I do have the glove box door and the instrument cluster, and they're both worthy of becoming garage art... I've got the car cut up already, and if someone out there needs pieces for their car, shoot me a note... I'm in SE Michigan, about 25 miles north of the Michigan/Ohio State Line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page