• 2 Post By mrvandermey
  • 1 Post By mrvandermey
  • 1 Post By mrvandermey

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Hot Damn, the hot rod is done!!!

Hey everyone, after a year and a half of tinkering with my '68 Ford Fairlane 500 (complete new 306 engine, new C-4 tranny, new 9" posi rear end w/3.50 gears, along with new wheels/tires, bucket seat conversion along with a tree-shift to floor shift conversion), my Beast is ready....or will be shortly (continue reading to find out details).

Now I understand prices vary depending on where one may be at in the US, but I feel a I scored big time. About 3 1/2 years ago, I posted a pic here that showed my Fairlane in the driveway and in the background was my '77 MGB. Some of the comments I received on the pic I posted stated I should be fixing up that MGB. As I mentioned in the past, I bought the MGB back when I was in high school (way back in 1985) and owned it till November 2015 when I sold it to my step father (he is a retired engineer needing a project to work on). Since then, my step-father has rebuilt the motor completely with a new upgraded cam, dressed up engine with new paint, and new accessories (like new valve cover, alternator, smog pump, carb, motor mounts, etc), rebuilt the transmission, rebuilt the rear brakes, did a front brake job, replaced the master cylinder and brake booster, installed new radiator with electric fan, replaced exhaust from exhaust manifold to exhaust tip, replaced cracked windshield and windshield frame (no easy task), replaced cracked dash, fixed all electric gremlins, finished interior (mostly carpeting, rear bulkhead panel, repaired center console, and window felts), replaced the wheels and tires (more period correct), repaired dent in front fender, repainted entire car (driver quality), fixed trunk issue (trunk lid did not want to close properly) and even carpeted the trunk. Then to top it all off, he got it to pass smog (damn California) for the first time in 30+ years. When he was done, he offered the car for sale to me. I offered him $7,000 (as per Hagerty, that was a fair price for a very nice driver quality restored '77 MGB, I sold it to him in 2015 for $2500 needing everything as it had sat for 25+ years) and he accepted the offer.

Now if that were the end of the story, I would still consider it a win, as I essentially paid $7,000 for a full driver quality restoration of a classic British sports car (where nothing is cheap or affordable on this car). I note that I have spent approximately $17,000 in building the Fairlane (not counting the $10,000 purchase price), so I know restoring a car is not cheap, even for a solid driver-quality car.

However, with all that said, my step father then surprised me. He then offered to finish Beast, my '68 Ford Fairlane 500...included in the price I paid for the MG restoration. So now my step-father is going to: install radiator, install carb, hook up throttle linkage, hook up all fuel lines, hook up all coolant hoses, hook up all vacuum lines, and hook up all electrical connections (including electric fan, alternator, starter, battery, electric choke, ignition, etc). He is going to install the cooling lines for tranny, install the floor shifter (cut the hole in floor, and physically attached shifter assembly), remove old steering wheel and column, then replace with new wood Shelby style steering wheel and tilt column for floor shifter, and replace the gauge cluster with a new gauge cluster that includes a factory tach, hook up shift linkage (from floor shifter to tranny) including kick down cable, neutral safety switch and speedo cable. He is going to add tranny fluid to tranny, oil to engine, coolant to radiator, then fire it up, fine tune it and break it in. While he is at it, he is finishing off all electric issues (ensuring all gauges work) and getting the AC up and running.

Now, I know that most of you well mechanically skilled folks can do most of what I just listed in a weekend or two. However, for me, although I can do most of them (except the electric work, fine tuning of the engine and installing the exhaust), it takes me a whole lot longer as my mechanical skills are still lacking. I was prepared to pay a shop to do all that and was quoted around $1,500 assuming no surprises, and not counting installing exhaust (which will be done later). So to get all of this included in the $7,000 I paid to get my British sports car restored, sounds like a pretty damn good deal for me. As my step-father knows what he is doing (I have seen 3 other cars he has built, including a special built tractor pull truck with over 800 HP, a gorgeous Jeep CJ with a built Ford 302 and a '65 Thunderbird) I feel pretty confident that Beast is in good hands. So now I will have both my convertible sports car and my hot rod (as well as my motorcycle) for the summer. My step-father picks up Beast over Memorial weekend and said he should have it ready around the 4th of July weekend.

I grant, neither car will be a show car as both are driver quality, but is that not the point, to drive them?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, since I am in the process of buying a house, my step-father said I could pay him the $7,000 after my new house closes.

marylandGT and Grimbrand like this.

Last edited by mrvandermey; 05-29-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019
BOSS Member

sounds like you are going to owe "dad" bigtime--------comgrats

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Cool!!

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019
PONY Member

That's a good feeling, keep the shiny side up.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019
PONY Member

The reason a lot of us are so mechanically inclined is because we rolled up our sleeves and dug in as poor youngsters without a pot to piss in. We all started with a car, a vision, and a Crafstman $200 tool set, like yourself. Most of us didn't know what new parts were until we were in our 20's and scrounged junkyards for what we needed. Our education was trial and error and a Motors manual because Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. If I were you, I would be at my step fathers shop acting like sponge to learn how to do it myself in the future.

Oh and congrats on getting your projects on their way.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
The reason a lot of us are so mechanically inclined is because we rolled up our sleeves and dug in as poor youngsters without a pot to piss in. We all started with a car, a vision, and a Crafstman $200 tool set, like yourself. Most of us didn't know what new parts were until we were in our 20's and scrounged junkyards for what we needed. Our education was trial and error and a Motors manual because Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. If I were you, I would be at my step fathers shop acting like sponge to learn how to do it myself in the future.

Oh and congrats on getting your projects on their way.
Oh I had already informed my step-father that I want to be there. This is like my own personal "Garage Squad"...the difference being it is not likely to be done in 3-4 days.

On the MGB, my mother told me he needed a project to tinker with so I volunteered the car (actually, I figured I was never going to get to the restoration as I had it for 30 years and all I did to it was put leather interior in it and paint it once). Then when it came out so nice, my mom thought it should stay in the family. Both my step-father and I agreed.

On the Fairlane. Like I said, I can do most of what still needs to be done, but I am just not fast at doing it. I admit, I never learned how to tune a carb, fine tune an engine, and do electrical work on a car. I would have left those to a professional, as well as replacing the windshield, installing the exhaust (I still can not weld to save my soul), and reupholstering the seats (I have a general understanding, but not the desire to do it).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019
Apprentice

Garage
Your car gets done, your Step Father is occupied, therefore staying out of your Mom's hair (LOL). Sounds like a win for all involved.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwaz3661 View Post
Your car gets done, your Step Father is occupied, therefore staying out of your Mom's hair (LOL). Sounds like a win for all involved.
Yes indeed, my mother is very happy that step dad has a project to work on. That was what started this whole thing to begin with. My step father has me looking for his next project, as he expects work on Fairlane to be rather short compared to the restoration of the MGB. I believe his next project will be a '50-'70 Truck, either Ford or Chevy.
johnwaz3661 likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Hey guys, here are a few "before" pics of the MGB my step father restored. Remember, it is a driver quality restoration, not a show car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0128090820b[1].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	610027   Click image for larger version

Name:	0128090822a[1].jpg
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	610029   Click image for larger version

Name:	0128090820a[1].jpg
Views:	18
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	610031   Click image for larger version

Name:	0128090821a[1].jpg
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	610033   Click image for larger version

Name:	0128090826[1].jpg
Views:	20
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	610035  

Name:	0128090828[1].jpg
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	610037   Click image for larger version

Name:	1026081602a[1].jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	610039  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Here are the "after" pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190525_184555.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	610043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190525_184543.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	610045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190528_170649.jpg
Size:	980.5 KB
ID:	610047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190528_170824.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	610049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190528_170705.jpg
Size:	959.5 KB
ID:	610051  

Name:	IMG_20190528_170737.jpg
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	610053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190528_170629.jpg
Size:	883.8 KB
ID:	610055  
Grimbrand likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
I can not wait until he completes the finishing touches on Beast. I am already planning on making Hot August Nights in Reno, NV for 2020, and if I am lucky, I may even make an appearance there for 2019. My sister thought the MGB came out so good and that since it is an old car, that I should take that to Hot August Nights. I had to explain to her the MGB is not a hot rod, just a cute European sports car. In fact, I really own it simply for the sentimental value as I bought this car when I was 17.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Hi guys, a new twist in my ever on going saga. The Fairlane is just about finished, expected next week. Yay.

As for the recently restored MGB which I owned for 30+ years (plus another 3.5 years with my step-father), I have decided to do something radical with it. My eldest daughter has been in love with my little MGB ever since she was a little girl. As it happens to be, she is getting married on July 27, so I decided I am giving my recently restored toy, which I love dearly, to my Princess, who I love even more, as a wedding gift. So now she can enjoy the "family heirloom" for a few decades before passing it on to the next generation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page