67 coupe road course build - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

67 coupe road course build

hello everyone I am looking to build a 67 coupe for road course/autocross. My goal with the car is to get into autoX and road course racing. I'm not sure how competitive I wanna be as I don't have the funds to race every weekend and id like it to still be street able. I have dreamed of doing this for awhile and not really sure where to start. I have a 67 coupe shell,15-20k budget, and will be doing most if not all the work myself. Has anyone here used Gateway, Maiers, or other competitive brands? looking to make this thing a cornering machine!! any input will be appreciated.

Goals:
500rwhp (with room for more later lol)

T5 or T56
Fuel injected
Best suspension I can buy with my budget
15-20k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Griggs Racing. No amount of playing with the stock style suspension setup will get you anywhere close. On Sumitomo HTRZIIs, I'm pulling 0.97g easily around roundabouts. Mustang II suspensions lack the anti-dive and the steering geometry, and just aren't as good as even a stock style suspension. The front and rear kit all in is about $10k. You can possibly save some money by getting your own coilovers, but I'm pretty happy with the Konis that come standard. You can get brakes from an SN95 for pretty cheap to fit the SN95 spindles that it uses, and you can use either an 8.8 or a 9". It uses a Fox body steering rack, but I'd recommend getting one from Griggs, not a "remanufactured" one like I did, which has a dead spot in the middle because they didn't replace the rack. You can save a little extra also by using a Panhard bar instead of a Watts link, but the Watts will outhandle the Panhard any day.

For autocross, I highly recommend focusing on the suspension setup more than anything else, and I can tell you that my '65 with Griggs suspension handles better than any car I've ever driven, save for maybe a Formula SAE car. Even then, that had Hoosiers, and the steering feel and responsiveness was very similar.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019
Rookie
Classic Member

Check out Street or Track LLC They have everything you will need in suspension. For a track car, a top loader 4 speed would be better than a T5, due to gear spacing and strength. A T56 is expensive and may require extensive trans tunnel mods. Who ever you choose for the suspension, get both the front and rear from the same vendor, they are usually made to work well together.

Dynacorn '67 fastback, Dart 363, TREMEC T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.7 ratio Eaton Truetrac rear in a full floater 9" rear end. Still in pieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
67 mustang coupe , autocross , race car , roadcourse , track day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in