Any confirmed info on the origin of the different Racing Stripes? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
From what I read is that...

Rocker Panel (Below the door area) Stripes were started technically by Shelby Mustangs

Le Mans Stripes were started technically by Chrysler (correction, I mean Cadillac but between reading the source and typing this, my mind was on the a Dodge Viper video I was watching)

Fender (Grand Sport \\ or //) Stripes Started by Chevrolet, but like the SS moniker I believe the stripes may have been stolen from Ferrari...

Any other stripes out there started by certain companies but are widely used on other cars not originally designed for?

Can anyone confirm the first 3?

2002 V6 Oxford White (Traded in for $5300 off the 2014)
2014 GT Ruby Red, planned 1st mod, MGW Shifter.
Biggest Pet peeve, People stealing the parking spot I'm waiting for.

Last edited by Draghon; 07-16-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

This is all news to me. I never paid attention to the origin of car markings.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Isn't curiosity wonderful. Many times you see cars that someone has painted with "Shelby" stripes and claim it's a Shelby.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019
PONY Member

i disagree with chrysler and the LEMANS stripes "Brigs Cunningham" had the twin over the hood and car blue strips on his 1950 cadiallac Lemans cars. As a matter of fact the strips were used by most entrants to distinguish nationality Green cars with white were britis,h Red with black were itialian, Americans were white cars with blue strips ect.

As far as rocker stripes go they are merely an outgrowth of the paint schemes on many 50's vehicles that used a contrasting stripe in between two moulding on the lower half of the car to make them appear longer (1956 packard comes to mind) to save money they dropped the moldings from the top or bottom of the stripe or all together losing the moldings. Several car company painted the lower part of the car darker between the wheel arches to simulate running boards which were going out of fashion in the late 40's. As to which car started the trend it would take a bit of research.

AS far as the GS or SS sideways stripes I believe that the mustang had them on export models in the 65-66 era but GM trademarked them in the US that year Also Dodge had an SS or Superpsort model in the early 60's again it was trademarked so it could no longer be used by non GM cars in the US. Chrysler also trademarked the "HEMI" moniker even though Ford and Pontiac both had motors on the street with hemispherical combustion designs.
Beechkid likes this.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I also had never heard of any such origins.

The patent and trademark office has no record of any trademark for the word 'hemi' relating to cars. The first one to use those 4 letters was in 1974 for furniture casters; #73013709. It has long been a dead trademark.

I believe stripes would be considered as a design patent which are difficult to find, not a trademark.
Beechkid likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylensmanfl View Post
i disagree with chrysler and the LEMANS stripes "Brigs Cunningham" had the twin over the hood and car blue strips on his 1950 cadiallac Lemans cars. As a matter of fact the strips were used by most entrants to distinguish nationality Green cars with white were britis,h Red with black were itialian, Americans were white cars with blue strips ect.

As far as rocker stripes go they are merely an outgrowth of the paint schemes on many 50's vehicles that used a contrasting stripe in between two moulding on the lower half of the car to make them appear longer (1956 packard comes to mind) to save money they dropped the moldings from the top or bottom of the stripe or all together losing the moldings. Several car company painted the lower part of the car darker between the wheel arches to simulate running boards which were going out of fashion in the late 40's. As to which car started the trend it would take a bit of research.

AS far as the GS or SS sideways stripes I believe that the mustang had them on export models in the 65-66 era but GM trademarked them in the US that year Also Dodge had an SS or Superpsort model in the early 60's again it was trademarked so it could no longer be used by non GM cars in the US. Chrysler also trademarked the "HEMI" moniker even though Ford and Pontiac both had motors on the street with hemispherical combustion designs.
Thank you for the insight, yes, I meant Cadillac not Chrysler. I also knew Chevy stole both from somewhere but couldn't remeber and for some reason Ferrari came to mind. I knew ford had a Hemi long ago, and I believe still today you can get a custom hemi head I heard for the Coyote Engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post

The patent and trademark office has no record of any trademark for the word 'hemi' relating to cars. The first one to use those 4 letters was in 1974 for furniture casters; #73013709. It has long been a dead trademark.

I believe stripes would be considered as a design patent which are difficult to find, not a trademark.
I think that's what he meant...

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylensmanfl View Post

I am in agreement on the Cunningham being the first "American" car to have what would later be termed LeMans stripes.
Rocker panel stripes first appeared on a Ford GT40 in '63. That "theme" carried over to the '65 Mustang GT package and of course the GT350
The two "slash" stripes on the front fender were first on a Ferrari GTO in '62 IIRC. The Corvette GS and 289 Cobra used them in '63. They were never used on an export Mustang or any production Mustang for that matter.
Sometimes being old has it's advantages. LOL
Randy
rodbender likes this.

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019
Rookie

My dad was a sports car race driver in the '50s. Ran with Phil Hill when he was still in SF. Phil let my dad do some laps in his Ferrari when he became a factory driver.

Anyway, he told me years ago that the stripes were to get a visual reference on the position of the car. Early racing and sports cars had the driver placed towards the rear of the car and when it started sliding you didn't feel it until you were really crossed up. The stripe made it more obvious. He always got a kick out of "racing strips" down the rocker panels. And really split a gut when Chrysler started in with the "bumble bee" stripes around the tail.
Ivy66GT, Beechkid and Grimbrand like this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

All very interesting.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post

The hemispherical head design was revived in 1964. These were the first engines officially designated Hemi, a name Chrysler had trademarked. Chrysler Hemi engines of this generation displaced 426 cu in (7.0 L). Just 11,000 Hemi engines were ultimately produced for consumer sale due to their relatively high cost and the sheer size of the engine bay required to fit it in. The 426 Hemi was nicknamed the "elephant engine"[17] at the time, a reference to its high power, heavy weight and large physical dimensions. Its 10.72 in (272.3 mm) deck height and 4.80 in (121.9 mm) bore spacing made it the biggest engine in racing at the time.

you may have to dig deeper indoor search for trademarks many are auto only trademarks. As with he ford mustang they were actually taken to court because of the MUSTANG bicycle and the MUSTANG radio in use at that time. The court ruler that different lines of products did not at that time violate trademark laws.

found this in a mopar owners manual:
Automobility Program, Chrysler 200, Chrysler 200S, Chrysler 300C, Chrysler 300S, Glacier, HEMI, Imperial, Imported From Detroit, Mopar Vehicle Protection, ParkSense, ParkView, Pentastar, Sentry Key, SRT8, Stow 'n Go, Stow N Place, Tech Authority, Town & Country and Uconnect are registered trademarks and Chrysler 300C Platinum, Keyless Enter 'n Go, SafetyTec and Town & Country Limited Platinum are trademarks of FCA US LLC.
Beechkid likes this.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
PONY Member

Chrysler didn't "invent" the hemi , they just copied the design. MANY European engines , Aircraft engines ,and American cylinder head conversions like the Frontenac and Duntov s were all "opposing valve , pentroof " designs. Chrysler was the first American "production" car to use the design.

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
LOL, this was supposed to be about the stripes, but thanks for the insight.

Rookie

My family is a military and car family, stationed all over the world. While I was in Europe in the mid sixties I asked about racing stripes. Back before cameras all over the track, and choppers with cameras above, announcers had problems telling which car was in what class, and in what position. In Europe many classes raced at the same time, so a way to distinguish them was needed...hello stripes. They had to be visible from the announcers booth with binoculars to tell class and position. About the time they got things sorted out, America decided to use stripes just for looks...screwing everything up. It made perfect sense to me, so I think that is how they came about.
PONY Member

Stripes go all the way back to the Nazca lines in Peru in about 500BC, and can be seen even earlier on pottery throughout the world, notably Africa.
The first stripes were probably the result of a rock rolling down a muddy hillside which was seen and replicated thereafter by early hominids.
Other patterns of stripes are seen on animals and replicated on the bodies and walls with mud and various pigments. Skunk stripes, wolverine stripes, zebra stripes, etc.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
Stripes go all the way back to the Nazca lines in Peru in about 500BC, and can be seen even earlier on pottery throughout the world, notably Africa.
The first stripes were probably the result of a rock rolling down a muddy hillside which was seen and replicated thereafter by early hominids.
Other patterns of stripes are seen on animals and replicated on the bodies and walls with mud and various pigments. Skunk stripes, wolverine stripes, zebra stripes, etc.
We're talking about vehicles, not clay and animals... lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page