Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First gen 'stang as a daily driver

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mcc351 
#1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum, but I have been creeping around for a while, picking up as much information as I could, usually finding the answers I was looking for. However, the nature of my new situation has me posting here now.

So here's the rub:

I am a senior in a D.C. area college, getting ready to head into law school next year. I've always loved the idea of driving a classic stang through the city streets, passing the monuments and the eclectic bars of Adams Morgan. It just so happens that my law school will be in the city, meaning this dream of mine will actually be something I can make happen.

I have always loved mustangs, with my grandfather and I building models of mustangs and even building a go-kart in the shape of the mustang. I currently own a 2011 5.0 that I have built up to be a pretty stout street warrior. However, as exciting as the 5.0 is, I find myself yearning for the timeless style of the first-gen classics. I am set on purchasing and daily driving the first-gen stang. I will aim to spend roughly 7-11k on a 289 model, preferably with a 4 speed already installed.

Before the actual question, here is some other relevant info:

For repairs and maintenance: I'm fairly competent with mechanical work, however, I know what I do not know but know the people that do know.
Insurance: Already have a policy laid out with my carrier, with the cost being similar to that of insuring my old e30.
Budget: I have been blessed with a great part-time job as well as a sizeable investment from a previous school's entrepreneur program in my business. While I'm very aware that maintaining older vehicles is pricey at times, I should be able to handle the costs associated with my decision.
Other vehicles: I have an '11 5.0 and a '94 80 series Landcruiser for the inclement days.
I also will never sell my '11 as it was my high school car and it has a very high sentimental value to me.

So now that my life story is out of the way, here are the nuts and bolts of my question:

1. Besides a disc brake conversion and electric fan w/aluminum rad, are there any other mods to make the stang a better commuter for near everyday use.
2. If you do/have daily drive the first-gen stang, what is it like? Are the increased costs worth it? Do the smiles per gallon outweigh the miles per gallon?

Sorry for the long first post.

Thanks in Advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Make sure it has power steering, some good comfortable seats and A/C . I've been driving my coupe for years with no power steering and even though it gets easier once the vehicle is rolling when you have to park it is a pain in the arse. The old bucket seats were great at one point in time but after 50 years the inners of the seats tend to become brittle, vinyl cracks. Seats get very uncomfortable. I would install an A/C unit if it doesn't come with one already. Since you have 2 back up vehicles you are in good shape, keep in mind old girl might have a hiccup one day and relying on a back up vehicle will be necessary. These old V8 engines with a carburetor set up are gas guzzlers even if you go easy with the pedal. I do about 14 MPG within city with my 347, could be worst but i get 27 MPG with my nissan.. as long as you have the capital to keep it going, why not!

J

#4 ·
For a number of years, before I retired, my '67 Cougar was my daily driver. If you're an "old school" driver, the handling/braking aren't really an issue. When I get my '66 Mustang painted, it will also be available for a daily driver even though I don't have to go to work anymore. Neither car has/or will get modifications.

#5 ·
It sounds great on paper. Just keep in mind someone else may like your classic car more than you do while it's sitting all alone in a parking lot, and the security features on a 50+ year old car aren't that good. And a garage is imperative for overnight/inclement weather storage.

#7 ·
I drove a 65 as a salesman in the early 90's daily around the city of philadelphia. As folks mentioned above A/C Power steering are a must!! I did fine with drum brakes, but if you do repeated high speed stops you will get some fade, but under normal stop and go I was fine. I didn't smoke so 1 ran a wire from the cigar lighter to the coil. when it was pushed in it ground out the coil so the engine wouldn't fire. If you are in the city secure parking is a must overnight. A simple anti theft like i used is okay during the day a frequent stops but any long term you will need more. The cars are harder to pedal and resell or even chop up anymore, but joy riders are a whole different kettle of fish.

$7 to $11k is not enough for a reliable self build, rust and paint alone will eat that up. You'll be better off attending a few shows and swap meets and seeing what a done coupe can be brought for, a convertible or fastback will easily triple the number your using.

$7 to $11 grand may get you a decent later model with lower miles say and 04-2010 convertible V8 with a 5 speed.

#8 ·
One of the big issues I've experienced with classic cars is the simple weather-tightness. 50+ year old seals have long dried out and replacements just don't fit as well as the originals. I have about $1000 worth of new rubber in my hardtop and I still keep a towel in the trunk in case I get stuck in a hard rain.

With regards to anti-theft, yeah that's a problem too. I installed a simple interrupt device on the hood latch so it can't be opened unless the cable pull in the cabin is in the right position. I also have a GPS locator that uses cell phone service to notify me if the car goes out of a set range. Both these devices can be easily disabled by a guy with a tow truck and an enclosed metal trailer. IMO a classic car thief is going to do that, and the car would be in a container on its way to Eastern Europe or Australia...

The best bang for the buck for the OP author is to buy an S197 Mustang and use that as his DD. They are cheap now, retro styling, with plenty of inexpensive replacement parts, either OEM or aftermarket improvements. Not to mention air bags and a five star crash rating. I bought a well-used 2005 back in 2010 for my daughter when she turned 16 and she still has it. V6 with a 5-speed manual. And we've done some nice mods on it: true dual exhaust (sounds wicked), GT suspension, wheels, tires (handles wicked), HID headlights, and most recently a custom re-paint. It has well over $150k miles on it and runs perfectly.

#9 ·
I agree that an s197 is a good compromise. I have 13k in my Roushcharged 07 GT MT. It's a pretty raw driving experience.....with AC and Cruise Control. The only thing I dont like is the mirrors. My next upgrade will be retro bullet mirrors.[/quote]

13,000 on an 07? When are you going to start driving it?

One of my favorites mods on that car are HID headlights. Here's my "how to" thread on it. [url]https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-talk/1049569-new-headlights-2005-a.html#post9030737[/url]

Here's low beam. Near perfect light distribution and razor sharp cut off to prevent glare on oncoming traffic.

[IMG]https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/2005-2010-mustang-talk/584817d1512960592-new-headlights-2005-img_20171204_231042263.jpg

#10 ·
I would add a pertronix unit in the distributor. That gets rid of the points in the distributor.
I drove a 69 Mach 1 as a daily driver in college in the 90’s. It was fun but I can’t say I would recommend. It broke down too many times. Many mechanics even then wouldn’t touch it because the technology was too old. When it rained it would occasionally stall because the distributor would get wet... which was right above a functional hood scoop. Pertronix would eliminate that problem.
If you go this route... stock the trunk with some basic hand tools and a gas can. Getting AAA wouldn’t be a bad idea either. If you have other cars, why not use them as daily drivers then drive the stang on weekends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.