Ford Mustang Forum banner

Looking for birthday information

835 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JayAre1965 
#1 ·
Hello,

Noob here...at least to this forum. Looking for the some help with data to recreate my door plate. 1965 Mustang Convertible GT. It has been in my family for 45 years, I was a 15 year old doofus who damaged the driver door and my dad replaced it but of course didn't remove the original data plate (nor did I).

VIN is 5F08A805875.

The car is an interesting mishmash of parts. Apparently Ford guys were having fun when they built ours as some window cranks are 1965, some are 1964 1/2, I think the front brake calipers were 1964 1/2 too if I recall. Anyway, car was Vintage Burgundy when we got it, standard black vinyl interior with bucket seats. I can't remember if it was a GT or if my dad made it a GT--but it has the exhaust tips through the valance, fog lights, rally pack (that WAS original). I have most of the info for the door plate but not birthday, and DSO will likely be LA since it was a California car when we bought it (we are the third owners).

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble, any help appreciated.

JR

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If the engine is the original one, you could get an idea of the build date there. There's a milled spot on the block just in front of the intake manifold that should have a number/letter series stamped on it. From my '66 manual you have a '65 convertible built in Dearborn, MI running a 289 with 4 barrel carb. The body style came up 65A (convert with bucket seats) painted X (maroon metallic) with 26 (black interior). The DSO should be 52 (Los Angeles) or 53 (San Diego) and the trans would be 1 (3 spd manual), 4 (4 spd manual) or 6 (C4 auto). Granted these are '66 numbers but should be very close.

#3 ·
Ht Travis98146,

I have all of those numbers that you gave me but like the door on the car, the engine has also been replaced, from my brother's car, so this is not a numbers matching car any more. I just want to get the birthday info to get a replacement door tag made--the one on the car now is from a fastback--and at least the car will "look" like it has the original.

Thanks for the reply!

#4 ·
VIN 5F08A805875

Dearborn built most likely July 30 1965

VIN 805446 scheduled build date 29U (July 29, 1965)
VIN 805875 your VIN
VIN 805900 scheduled build date 30U (July 30, 1965)

(data from Mustang Production Guide, Vol 1, Copyright 1994)

Hope this helps,
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.