Gas without ethanol in the Bay Area - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ONEZ ST

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Gas without ethanol in the Bay Area

Hello - I drive my '73 only occasionally, like once or twice a year. It's basically in storage. Someone advised that I should not keep gasoline with ethanol in the tank as it degrades over time and could damage the engine.

Question - Where can one get gasoline positively without ethanol in the SF Bay Area, or even nearby in Northern California?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rookie

If you can't find it I would use a bottle of Sta-Bil for long term storage. I've used this and it kept the fuel good for a long time.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
There's a Sta-Bil product called Sta-Bil 360, which counteracts the harmful effects of ethanol. I run it all of the time in my '65 (along with the lead substitute).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

With California fuel blend requirements I doubt you will find it at many gas stations. But here is a link that may help. https://www.buyrealgas.com/California.html
Yadkin likes this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Well to start with, all gasoline in Cal is blended and each region is different and changes at the start and end of summer. As such, all the gasoline begins to turn to varnish at 6 months.... there is no way around it. The biggest issue with most of the fuel tank additives is the carb & fuel pump gaskets (of course the fuel lines as well...unless you have alcohol spec'd gaskets which have been available for 30 + years now). Marvel Mystery Oil is good to add a touch to the fuel system, run the engine for a moment or 2 so it gets into the carb....now things are lubricated. Although it is best to keep the fuel tank full (to eliminate moisture/air which promotes fuel degradation), I siphon the fuel out of mine about every 2 months and use in our daily drivers, then replace with fresh.

Fuel lines...if you haven't done it already, when they are due for replacement (5 years of life max), replace them with EFI fuel line (rubber hose) as this will last a lifetime!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Ignore almost everything you hear about ethanol in the gas causing issues with a fuel system. Most winter blends added methanol or ethanol even back in the 60's. Modern gas will absorb more water due to the higher ethanol. The higher water content will encourage "varnishing" in the system. Adding a quality fuel additive such as Stabil or any product that clearly states formulated for ethanol containing fuels will extend the "freshness" f the fuel.
Having said all of that with a fresh battery and a can of either i'e started and run cars that have been sitting in storage for over 5 years with gas in the tank. Ethanol however will affect the smaller two stroke engines in weed whackers and chain saw and even smaller mowers in under 60 days.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylensmanfl View Post
Ignore almost everything you hear about ethanol in the gas causing issues with a fuel system. Most winter blends added methanol or ethanol even back in the 60's. Modern gas will absorb more water due to the higher ethanol. The higher water content will encourage "varnishing" in the system. Adding a quality fuel additive such as Stabil or any product that clearly states formulated for ethanol containing fuels will extend the "freshness" f the fuel.
Having said all of that with a fresh battery and a can of either i'e started and run cars that have been sitting in storage for over 5 years with gas in the tank. Ethanol however will affect the smaller two stroke engines in weed whackers and chain saw and even smaller mowers in under 60 days.
Well, few states actually use meth/ethanol, and in Cali they use MTBE.....very corrosive..... back in the 80's when the switch was made, it was dissolving the carb accel pump diaphrams in as soon as 3 months.....(Holley brand to be precise) and switched over to the alcohol spec units..... now I get about 5+ years out of them.

Flatheads ain't so bad!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

While several states used MTBE at one time, New Mexico being one of them, it is rarely used today. California was one of the first to ban MTBE which they did in 2002, 17 years ago. Legal liability from leakage problems did more than state laws to make MTBE all but disappear from US gasoline.

The winter additive to increase volatility is now, as it has nearly always been, butane, not any alcohol. Butane is cheaper and much more effective for that job than alcohol. Ethanol is still used mostly because of politics since the supporting reasons behind its use have mostly disappeared. All the companies who geared up to make it want to keep it forever.

I do agree that nearly all the horror stories about ethanol are highly exaggerated if not downright untrue. Its not something I would want to use voluntarily but current laws don't allow me any choice. Both federal tax and state environmental laws make ethanol fuel mandatory in the winter and essentially the only choice at any other time where I live.

Can you buy E0 in the Bay Area today? I have no recent experience to know; when I lived there Ronald Reagan was governor. But knowing the politics there today I would rather doubt it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Well, few states actually use meth/ethanol, and in Cali they use MTBE.....very corrosive..... back in the 80's when the switch was made, it was dissolving the carb accel pump diaphrams in as soon as 3 months.....(Holley brand to be precise) and switched over to the alcohol spec units..... now I get about 5+ years out of them.
I think Ivy66gt is correct. I recall CA banned MTBE years ago. It had a very distinct odor to it when it was pumped which I do not recall smelling the last few trips to the State.

About the only place the OP will find non-ethanol is a boat dock. We have a few gas stations in my locality in Texas that are ethanol free and a few north of me in Oklahoma. I fill up 5 gal cans for garden equipment use and my inverter generator. And cost wise the non ethanol was only a few pennies more a gallon compared grade-to-grade.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
I think Ivy66gt is correct. I recall CA banned MTBE years ago. .
Yes, a court overruled them and then just a few years ago it was replaced with ethanol...with similar effects (it's just more friendly to the environment).

Flatheads ain't so bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page