Anti theft precautions - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 07redstang
  • 1 Post By Howelldaddy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Anti theft precautions

I have a 1965 convertible with the 289 . I would like to take the car for a weekend every once in a while do a nice road trip. We are looking for car shows that are a good distance away from the house we also wanted to do the tour around Lake Michigan. I know how easy these cars are to steal specially with a soft top it’s almost impossible to stop a knife but I was wondering what precautions people take just to give myself peace of mind . Specially if there’s anything I can do to make the recovery easier if somebody does take it. is LoJack still a thing ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

A good agreed value insurance policy. Outside of the normal precautions, you will not be able to stop a professional or a tow type truck from getting the car if they really want it. You can remove the rotor, replace the coil wire with a dummy, a switch between the coil- terminal and the distributor, and yes the Lojack is still available.

huberoy123 and Beechkid like this.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
Take a wheel into the hotel/motel with you at night and leave the car on a jack stand. LOL. But really, what 07redstang stated is about all you can do and hope for the best.
Yadkin likes this.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
I suggest that you rig a hood lock and a kill switch. The easiest hood lock is a cable operated pin that interrupts the front latch. You can hide the lever somewhere in the interior. The easiest kill switches are a simple one that screws onto the positive battery terminal.

Of course if you put the battery in the trunk with a kill switch then that is a very effective deterrent to someone hot wiring the car.

Classic cars are frequently taken by a tow truck. I don't know about lo-jack but brickhouse dot com sells a cell phone unit that is the size of small brick and attaches to the underside of your car with a powerful magnet. It works on a 40 day battery, so you take it off and charge it once per month. The service starts at $15/ month, and works off a website and app on your phone. You set it up to notify you if the car leaves a certain radius, or obtains a certain speed. You can "ping" the unit at any time to locate the car. The service records the route that the car has taken, and the frequency of waypoints depends on the service level that you pay for. In theory, you would get a notice that your car is on the move, then call the cops and tell them where it is headed. Of course if the thief finds the box and tosses it, or takes the car in an enclosed trailer that interrupts the cell phone signal, then you're out of luck.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page