Ready to join the Club - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kenv

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool Ready to join the Club

Hello all. I live in Ohio and have a chance to purchase a 1965 GT Convertible, with 289 / 4 barrel with air, and a 3 speed manual transmission from a friend. The car is Red with the white top. The owner states that the top has not been up for over 10 years. He purchased it in 1975. He has told me that most of the gauges do not work, the steering wheel is not a ford one, an the drivers door is from a 1968. Overall, its in fair condition, and only gets takin out 1 or 2 times a year, as the current owners are in their 80's. With all this info, he told me to research what the car is worth and give him a price and we can discuss a purchase. I have run the VIN thru Hagerty.com and have their numbers. My big question is how else do I come up with a fair price to offer, and do the nonworking and not original parts play a part in the overall value? I do not want to insult him with a low ball offer, I just want to be fair without breaking the bank. Thank you all for your advice and words of wisdom. It is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome. "I" would pay a car appraiser to look over the car & tell you what it is worth in it`s current condition.

B.Cooper likes this.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifsavr View Post
Hello all. I live in Ohio and have a chance to purchase a 1965 GT Convertible, with 289 / 4 barrel with air, and a 3 speed manual transmission from a friend. The car is Red with the white top. The owner states that the top has not been up for over 10 years. He purchased it in 1975. He has told me that most of the gauges do not work, the steering wheel is not a ford one, an the drivers door is from a 1968. Overall, its in fair condition, and only gets takin out 1 or 2 times a year, as the current owners are in their 80's. With all this info, he told me to research what the car is worth and give him a price and we can discuss a purchase. I have run the VIN thru Hagerty.com and have their numbers. My big question is how else do I come up with a fair price to offer, and do the nonworking and not original parts play a part in the overall value? I do not want to insult him with a low ball offer, I just want to be fair without breaking the bank. Thank you all for your advice and words of wisdom. It is much appreciated.
Just curious is this a real GT? Have you decoded the door tag? What is the fifth letter on the vin tag?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

The 5th letter is an A. V8 289-4v 225hp I am told that the engine that is there is the original engine.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Is the air a factory unit? A/C in a convertible was not a common option. Even in coupes it was not yet all that common. I know of one A/C convertible that I drove but did not buy almost 40 years ago and everyone considered it unusual at the time because of the A/C. I passed on it and bought the 4-speed, GT convertible without air which is still in my garage.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019
PONY Member

The door cannot be off a 68. Without pictures, I'd say around $15-20k depending on overall condition of the paint, interior, and top.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Here are a few pics. 50100 miles on the car, with the rally package. I think I will offer 18000 unless you guys think I am crazy. Thank again for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 mustang.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	611895   Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	611897   Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang 2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	611899  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

I think $18k is low if its as nice in person as the pictures. However that offer will certainly garner some sort of reaction from him.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

If you call that fair condition you wouldn't make a good used car dealer. They would be calling it excellent. Its even painted the color recommended by used car dealers in the 80s to maximize resale value. As mentioned, the drivers door can't be from a '68 or it wouldn't fit. From a '66 maybe?

Looks fairly original. GT, rally wheels, A/C, pony interior, rally pac, and also an AM/FM radio? Where I grew up there weren't any FM stations to receive in 1965. I think I can even see a power top switch? And for sure it has a day/night mirror. Many, many more options that the average one. The only thing not an option would be the 3-speed manual which I find odd with everything else that is included. Are you sure this one wasn't (over) optioned as part of a 'restoration'?

Where is the non-original equipment or does he mean not originally from the factory? That steering wheel may not be from Ford but, if so, its not a bad repro. If most of it is real and not a rust-bucket with new paint you need to, at least, double your offer. In the grand scheme of things fixing the gauges is trivial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page