1966 Mustang convertible "A" code - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

1966 Mustang convertible "A" code

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have a vehicle that does not have a letter code for exterior paint. I know the car is originally blue but I do not know which blue it is, what is interesting here is next to the DSO number there are four other numbers? What would that state? For instance DSO 71 2886

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019
PONY Member

Garage
According to my '66 Service Manual, the 71 is Los Angeles and the 2886 should be the order number. The 4th letter on that door plate would be the exterior paint and the 5th & 6th would be the interior trim. Mine has a U for exterior paint which is turquoise blue metallic.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
According to my '66 Service Manual, the 71 is Los Angeles and the 2886 should be the order number. The 4th letter on that door plate would be the exterior paint and the 5th & 6th would be the interior trim. Mine has a U for exterior paint which is turquoise blue metallic.
You're kind of losing me here, the fourth letter on the door plate will be the exterior paint problem is there is no letter under the word "paint code"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
Thought those numbers were the dealer code.

Josep

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT TE - 6R07T213966 - San Jose built June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn built September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019
PONY Member

Garage
The factory only had 3 blue colors: light blue, light blue metallic and dark blue (plus the turquoise). The top row of your door plate is: 76C=convertible, ()=exterior paint, ()()=trim color, ()()()=date and month, ()()=DSO(District service office), ()=axle and ()=<acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym>. On your warranty number line: 6=1976, ()=assembly plant, ()()= body serial code, ()= engine code and (xxxxxx)=consecutive unit number. Since you only gave out a portion of the numbers, there's no way to even guess what you have. This 66 door tag is the same style as mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door plate.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	612619  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page