Ford Mustang Forum banner

Crate engine advice

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  CA65FB 
#1 ·
I’m looking to get a crate motor for my 69 mustang I wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions on a good motor based on experience driving the motor they’re suggesting. I’m looking for about 300-350 HP nothing to crazy because it will be a daily driver but also want to be able to have some fun whenever lol please send links appreciate any help I want to sick to 302 but open to others

#6 ·
Since early 2019 I been running a 427W in my 65 Mustang. It is backed by an AODE.

It is my third 351W based engine. A 351W is almost a drop-in in a 65 and should be easier in a 69. And you get the small block improvements as baseline.

It is running FiTech port injection. I set up everything "by-the-book". I then started it and drove 12K miles. It runs like it knows what it is doing.

The engine came from
http://www.crebengineering.com/Fordmotors.html
crebengineering@aol.com

Their customer service is good.

My 65 is here.
https://goo.gl/photos/PPcZpByXAgfp8kTk6

#7 ·
It is buyer beware when it comes to buying an engine off the internet. I was going to do that for my 68 but ended up my block and crank were fine so I found a local engine builder I could sit with an discuss the project. So I did an engine build locally. Probably cost me about the same as a crate motor. If I was going with a crate motor I would go with a newer roller rocker, EFI block. Check out the warranty. There are NOT all the same. When I was shopping one of those places told warrantied the engine but I would have had to ship it back to them for any repairs. I almost purchased a Jasper engine. Chose them since they have a shop in my metro area and would do warranty work at that shop. Jasper has been in the engine business for a LONG time.

#8 ·
I know this is an old posting. Here is my two cents. I ran into the same thing. Had a couple of bad head gaskets. I looked at a lot of engines on the internet. Jasper also has a shop in my area and that is the one I settled on. What good is a warranty if you have to ship the engine out of state. But a friend suggested I have my old engine looked at. The same logic. If I am lucky and can rebuild my engine at least I will know exactly what is in it rather than take someone's word on it. I located a top engine shop and they came and got the engine. I got lucky. There was nothing wrong with my block or crank. I upgraded all the new parts. Forged dished pistons, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Comp cam, roller tipped rockers, aluminum water pump. I didn't save any money over a crate motor, probably spent a bit more. But I know what I have under the hood. And I designed the final results with the builder. Blue printed and balanced 302. Dyno'd at 310 HP. And I have a 1968 block in my 1968 Mustang.

#9 ·
+1 on the 351 Windsor based. It’s a Windsor so it fits and all the components work or are easily compatible.

On crate motors, I’m thinking you just mean new or freshly rebuilt virgin blocks, something drop-in you don’t have to worry about with a warranty. Most of the reman “crate” offerings are based on rebuilt virgin blocks, very few will build off new castings or from new aluminum castings because those get very expensive. Warranty wise they’re only as good as they say, I’ve heard good things about blueprint but even FRPP sells crate Windsor’s with warranties from Ford.

If I were to do a Windsor build I’d focus on local reputable engine shops who will often warranty better than the crate offerings, will build a better quality and back it, and your money will go further than just grabbing something off the internet. Usually they will offer some upgrades and customizing, different intake/ carb options etc, that will get you more than the crate offerings anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.