Newbie w/ a newbie question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006 Thread Starter
Classic Member

Newbie w/ a newbie question

Hello everyone, I just put my intro post up, and here my first question: My goal is a 1965-1966 mustang,289, I will have about 10,000 to spend. What are the most important things to get for my $$$$. I figure a rust free[or as less as possible]body and undercarriage are primary.[straight too, no bondo] All other things can be fixed/replaced. What can I expect for this money?? I know this is a very sujective question, but you gotta start somewhere, right??? Thanks everyone, Lenny [love these icons]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006
GT Member
Classic Member

Welcome to AFM

I'm not familiar with US prices but I'd look for a good body preferably from somewhere they dont put salt on the roads

Wimblton white 66 coupe C code 289 auto
97 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 auto, lift ,winch,33's etc
04 Holden VY SS 5.7 auto (wifes)
88 KLR 250

DISCLAMER:
Please feel free to ignor all advice/information offered
I could be wrong...... I have been before.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006 Thread Starter
Classic Member

no doubt, salt is a killer, lots of it here in Delaware, I'd fly to a car that was from a salt free place, much more sensible purchase...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Hello. Welcome.You shouldn't have any problems finding a pretty nice 65/66 coupe in that price range.Straight, rust-free body, runs and drives well, paint not great but ok, same with the interior, ugly under the hood but not leaking anything.A nice convertible or fastback would be significantly more but that is not at all unrealistic for a coupe.Hope that helps.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006 Thread Starter
Classic Member

Thank you ... By rust free, are we talking a car with sheet metal patches?? Can I expect a car with all original rust free body, no patchwork??
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Hi again.I'd say that you should expect to see a bunch of cars that have been hacked up in every way imaginable by the time you finally buy one. But yes, I was talking about a car with solid, original floors.Good luck.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangdreamer
no doubt, salt is a killer, lots of it here in Delaware, I'd fly to a car that was from a salt free place, much more sensible purchase...
yeah well at least you dont live ON a salt mine. but yes salt is bad. also i have found that magazines like Auto Trader are good to compare prices.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006
Apprentice
Classic Member

I have one for $11,000.00 in in Kentucky. You can see it at www.kendaleclassics.com This car is very straight and has great floor pans and frame rales. The only thing I know wrong with it, is the hood has some dents in it.

1967 Mustang Coupe
1985 Mustang 514 cu in Big Block. See me run on Youtube just type www.youtube.com/1qwk67 listen to the beast!!!

2005 Mustang V6 Daughters car Legend Lime Green
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006

i bought mine on ebay it was awestern car so very little rust frame rails need a little work but not bad i bought car for 3500 and spending around 6000 to fix up. very little body work mostly fixing what the last owner tried to do car was a 6 i built a 302 and went to 5 lug and fr. disc stayed with c-4 had to change bell housing biggest expense in new motor 2500, wheels and tires 1200 the rest of the money spent on new chrome and nick nacks.
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Shop---$10kCAN get you a nice coupe..Shop,don't rush,an all original(body)may take some time to find

"Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming.....WOW!.....What a ride!

"As you grow older,don't slow down,speed up-there's less time left"--over 45 and just now realizing how much I don't know
Apprentice
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to edgars23 Send a message via Yahoo to edgars23
I bought my 67 coupe for $5700 and it was in pretty good shape. The floors and frames are good with a little rust showing on the floors. Take your time and inspect everything. Most sellers wont let you pull up the carpet, but be persistent and look at every piece of the car. Also, don't forget to check the cowl vent for leaks. Take a bottle of water and pour it into the cowl vent, if you notice any water leaking onto the floor from the firewall area, it will be a big area of concern and huge red flag. At 10k you will be able to buy a coupe that is in good condition and is nice and straight. Good luck and fill us in on what you end up getting.

1967 Mustang C Code Coupe
Warmed up 289
T-5 Conversion
9" Ford Trac-Lok
-----------------------------
2001 Mustang GT (Average DD w/ Bolt-Ons)
-----------------------------
1968 Mustang Coupe
On Going Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page