Storing my baby - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Storing my baby

So the Army is going to move me overseas for a couple of years. I'm torn between storing the car, and selling it to save storage costs, and buying another project when I get back. The car is in OK/driving condition, but definitely a long way from finished.... Has anyone ever stored their car? How? Where? How much did it cost?

Thanks!

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016
GT Member

I know what it is like to make these decisions. You do not say what if any options you may have other than a separate storage facility. Family would be best.

What ever you do, you need someone here that has power of attorney so they may act if the storage place closes, is sold to new owners, etc. where a document needs to be signed.

You need to prep the car correctly and drain and purge all the gas.

Make sure family and friends have written statements of your intentions for the car and not to sell it from under you.

Make sure the title is available, rather than in a safe deposit box in a bank that no one can get into.

If your only option is outside storage, consider selling it before you go.

My experience is that inside climate controlled storage facilities will not do cars, a regular large unit may run you $100 a month depending on where it is. You need to check around. Is the car worth that much cash to you?

1968, hardtop, 289, C4, seafoam green.
1966, hardtop, 289, original 3 speed, on the road and fun to drive.
1968, hardtop, 200, 3 speed, in work.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks Driveway - great points on the paperwork (POA, Title handy, etc). I don't want to burden anyone in my family (I'm the only classic car nut) by taking up space in their garage, so it's between storing it and selling it.... Inside and climate control would be a must for me here in Colorado I think.....

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Inside, yes, climate control, no way. None of my cars got climate control in their formative years, and they still don't for that matter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

67 coupe--5.0
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ with drag pack
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016
MACH I Member
Classic Member

Storing my baby

Hello TigerFan,
First - -Thanks for your service/

Great advice already given

As far as storage - have you asked neighbors, relatives and looked
in the papers. Around here (Boston, Ma) a lot of elderly rent garages to car guys. NO heat or climate control and the car will be fine

Laslty - -things seem to work out - the way they are meant to be.
If you can't find storage space - it is a signal that it was not meant to
be kept

Be well - -keep your head up and thanks again
Print Dad
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Inside, yes, climate control, no way. None of my cars got climate control in their formative years, and they still don't for that matter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks, but did you leave them for 2-3 years without touching them? I'm concerned about the block, and the glass, as the temps vary from 100 in the Summer to almost 0 in the Winter here (but hey, it's a dry cold )....

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Print Dad View Post
Hello TigerFan,
First - -Thanks for your service/

Great advice already given

As far as storage - have you asked neighbors, relatives and looked
in the papers. Around here (Boston, Ma) a lot of elderly rent garages to car guys. NO heat or climate control and the car will be fine

Laslty - -things seem to work out - the way they are meant to be.
If you can't find storage space - it is a signal that it was not meant to
be kept

Be well - -keep your head up and thanks again
Print Dad
Thanks! Good point with looking at private options/someone's garage that they may be wiling to rent... Logic is telling me to sell, but........

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFan96 View Post
...but hey, it's a dry cold
Exactly, that's why you shouldn't have any problem. I drive a car which was left, untouched, on blocks in an unheated, Albuquerque garage for TWENTY years; 1979-1999. Our temps vary from 105+ to -20F over the years. There was no damage to anything, including machined surfaces inside the engine. For some reason the 1/2 tank of gas was a little stale and smelled funny. But then, our cold is drier than yours but not by much. In fact, your dew point is 4F lower (drier) than ours this morning.

If you were going to store it in Florida I would recommend climate control or sell the car. (The dew point in Palm Beach, FL, is now 30 degrees above ours.) But you don't have that concern in Colorado Springs. Definitely needs to be inside though, no matter where its located.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page