Classic car insurance - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Classic car insurance

So I just got Cherylene insured.
I went with Hagarty.
A little over $400 a year for liability.
It seemed like a good idea at the time (this comes from a person who thought cliff diving into the Guadalupe river was a good idea also) but anyway.
Has anyone ever had to file a claim with them for accident, theft?
Was it fairly easy dealing with them?
I seemed like a good deal but I kind of regret not putting it in with the rest of the vehicles I currently own.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I had them with my 1969 Mach1 and had a garage door come down on the trunk, they sent out an adjuster who noticed a slight issue with the hood not caused by what happened and had everything fixed and entire hood replaced. Great company from my experience.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016
PONY Member

I've used Hagerty for about 20 years. During that time I've had 2 claims with them. Both were settled wonderfully. I did have some disagreements with the adjuster they used both times, and i got on the phone with a Hagerty rep. to state my position. They listened to me, and within minutes my concerns were validated and the claims were settled the exact way I had hoped they would be.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
What year is Cherylene ? Just curious why the insurance is so expensive. I pay a little over $400 a year for 2 cars on my policy with American Collectors and that is for full coverage on both, not just liability.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

She's a 70 Sportsroof.
I think it's because we have a 17 year old licensed driver in the house now.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
I would get an on line estimate from American Collectors. My son is now 22 years old and my daughter is 25, and I have had this insurance for at least 20 years. I have a 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda insured for $58,000 and my 89 Foxbody insured for $11,000. I pay a little over $400.00 for both cars. This is full coverage for both cars with a $100 deductible on collision and comprehensive, full medical, liability of 350 - 500,000, towing and road service. I assume your son will not be driving the Sportsroof.

Best Collectors Insurance Companies | Classic Car Insurance Rates & Quotes | Americans Collectors Insurance | www.americancollectors.com | American Collectors

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016
PONY Member

Insurance prices vary WIDELY just by zip code alone.

Over the years I've found that Hagertys was never the cheapest option. But their customer service, transparency, and the way they handled my claims were the deciding factors in my staying with them.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016
PONY Member

Just did a quickie on my GT350 with American Collectors and all they want is $2,274. I'll stay with AAA thank you very much.

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt350HR View Post
Just did a quickie on my GT350 with American Collectors and all they want is $2,274. I'll stay with AAA thank you very much.
Not really speaking just to this quote, but there are many types of policies. So it's important to know some distinctions. Is AAA offering "agreed values" policies ? Those are the type that all classic owners should be looking for. "Stated value" policies won't protect the owner in case of a total loss.

As already pointed out, insurance costs vary greatly just due to zip code so it's impossible for a guy in California or wherever to compare what he's paying. vs a guy in Austin Texas or Oklahoma (me). But here goes, insurance thru Hararty for my '66 GT350 AND a '66 Galaxie cost me right at $800 per year for full coverage. The only restriction was that the classics couldn't be my daily driver that was used for commuting to work. But I could drive them every day, and did so, with no milage limits. Could have gotten a cheaper rate from another company, but preferred to stick with Hagerty for reasons already stated.

There are many factors that contribute to insurance costs and many factors that don't have a connection to cost that will determine the best company to go with . I think the OP is just wanting to know about "claims history" not all the other factors.

My first claim with Hagerty was from an accident that was totally my fault. I needed a lot of front end parts, including a hood. Hagerty listened to me and OK'ed an expensive fiberglass-over-steel-frame hood that was appropriate for my GT350 instead of an all fiberglass hood that the adjuster had listed for a replacememt.

My second claim with them was 15 years later on a K code that an some minor fire damage from a set of Weber carbs that backfired and caused a minor engine bay fire. The carbs needed to be replaced as well as the hood needing to be painted. Again, Hagerty paid the full amount I had requested to replace the Weber carb set, $5,000, instead of just paying for a stock carb replacement. So from my perspective they are tops. By listening to my concerns they have customer for life.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
Apprentice
Classic Member

Send a message via AIM to Red67
Hagarty is the way to go. Very easy to work with.
zray likes this.
Apprentice

Have my '67 converible insured through Hagarty. Only me and my wife on the policy and it runs me $249/year.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic car insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makedust View Post
So I just got Cherylene insured.

I went with Hagarty.

A little over $400 a year for liability.

If you are only getting liability is there a benefit in going with a classic car insurance company? I thought the benefit of using the hagarty type is that they look at your receipts and place the value on your car based on that and if it was totaled you'd get that amount for the car. Where as a regular insurance company would just give you the blue book value of a 40 year old car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 90lxwhite; 10-29-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Rookie

Garage
Hagerty is a great company to insure a classic car with. You don't want to insure your baby with a company that does NOT specialize in classic cars. I am in the health side of the insurance business. I use to work for a company that insured cars. I had my 68 Shelby insured on my family plan with that company. The Claims manager told me I should MOVE my coverage on my Shelby to another company. Said his claims people would not know how to handle a claim on that car. Plus I had ACV (Actual Cash Value) with them. Not the way to do that. You want stated value so there is no question as to what the value of the car is. Some companies want a formal value to establish the value. If you are just doing liability there is no point in using Hagerty. Use your family policy. Hagerty is best for insuring the actual vehicle. By the way, stated value means that is the MAX of what you would receive for a total loss. So make sure your re-evaluate the value regularly. I have my Shelby insured with AutoOwners on my family auto policy. AO does stated value, one of the few regular auto companies that do that. What I saved moving my family auto to AO paid for insuring my Shelby.
PONY Member

Hagerty although expensive is a very good company. You need to check your policy to see what it is. You want an agreed policy, not stated, not ACV, for the amount that you think the car is worth. That is what you get in case of a total loss and you will not get that with any other type of policy. Having a 17 y/o in the household does not automatically raise your insurance cost as long as there is another car available for every licensed driver in the household.

PONY Member

I asked around at the local cruise nights and my car club and the predominate companies were Grundy and Haggerty. All the folks that had claims, no one had an issue with either and Grundy seemed to be the more popular. I went with Grundy because they were less expensive.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in