Thoughts on tires and wheels - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thoughts on tires and wheels

My '67 convertible. It has P195/70R14 Goodyears on American Racing wheels right now. The tires have great tread on them but they are now 18 years old. I can't find tires with raised white letters that replace these (apparently not in production anymore?). Looking for opinions in this thread, what would you do? Go with 15 in wheel and different tire? Go back to original steel wheel with white stripe (if I can find it?)

Looking for your thoughts if you had this car. I'm probably not going to roll the fender lips so an extreme combo is not in the cards for me. Any opinions would be welcomed.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	548001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0423.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	548009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	548017  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Whitewalls are an option or were last summer when I last bought them. Hankook, sold at Discount Tire and elsewhere, makes a whitewall 19575R14 that is nearly exactly the size of an original tire and only about $60 each. The white stripe is only 5/8" wide but most don't remember that the stripes were 2-3x that wide originally. The biggest problem with original, black steel wheels is that most of them are now bent and may cause annoying vibrations.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016
Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Check with Coker Tire in Chattanooga. They are offering free shipping this week.

https://www.cokertire.com/

1995 Mustang Cobra R
2019 Mustang GT350 K1868

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016
MACH I Member
Classic Member

Hello,
I am running these on our Mach 1 - -they fir great and no rubbing issues - -before ordering
I would get a few opinions on size for your particular car- - I am pretty certain they will fit.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/cooper-ti...duUaArR-8P8HAQ

Yes you are wise to change tires - they will dry rot eventually

Hope this help a little

You can also try Summit - I think that is where I first go mine

Print Dad
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016
GT Member

Garage
You could also go to a 205/70r14 which is a tire size sold at our discount tires, and tire rack. Bfgs are all that are basically sold, which are "good" tires. I only say that because the one on my dads 65 because after being on the car for 12 years, orignal set we put on it, and being sat stationary for one year, came out quite well after i fixed the roadforce and balance. To start they were all around 70lbs road force which were dropped to 16 and lower after being forcematched. At 90mph they still vibrate but are atleast better. If you do plan on going up in size i would enjoy seeing your next choice of wheels since we are in the market for our GT. Good luck

19 GT PP1
65 GT A-Code Mustang 289
66 GT A-Code Mustang 289
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016
PONY Member

Just for looks alone, I prefer to stay as close to the original wheel size as possible, I completely understand the many valid reasons for going to the 17" size, but for my tastes, it doesn't fit well with the lines of the early Mustangs

I buy the stickiest tire available that is DOT approved for use on public roads. The advantages of having a sticky tire go well beyond just driving fast. Braking and maneuverability are two safety aspects of every day driving that are immeasurably enhanced by having a tire with the most available traction

So I've happily settled on 15" wheels and Avon CR6ZZ tires. Fifteen inch wheels can be found in all price points. Mine cost $20 each at the local auto salvage yard. That saving helped to mitigate the cost of the Avon's, which are about $350 each. Pricey, but well worth it in my view. Their traction is unmatched by any other 14" or 15" street tire. And that's something the RWL tires are sadly lacking.

The tires Coker offers are very good looking. But given the prices on them, I can't understand why they aren't offered in a higher speed rating. Clearly the folks at Coker are not spending any extra money on the better materials available today, and are just settling on merely offering a tire that just has good looks.

CR6ZZ | Avon Motorsport

Z
Grimbrand likes this.

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)

Last edited by zray; 12-27-2016 at 10:58 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
What's the treadwear like on those Avons, Zray? Do they last well?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
What's the treadwear like on those Avons, Zray? Do they last well?
I was pretty hard on mine, and they had worn down about 40% of tread above the wear indicators in 18,000 miles. I think they could go 35,000 miles easily, and probably 40,000+ miles.

Z
Grimbrand likes this.

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016
GT Member
Classic Member

I replaced the tires on my 66 coupe 3 years ago and ran into the same problem; nobody out there making RWL tires in our 14 inch wheel sizes. All the old names like Good/Year Eagle's, Uniroyal Tiger Paw, Dunlop GT's, Cooper Cobra's, Kelly Chargers, etc, have stopped making white letter 14 inch tires. The only one left is BF Goodrich Radial T/A, but I could not find 195/70R14 with them so I went up to 205/70R14. You may have to settle for blackwall, whitewall, or step up with $ to Coker and get redline tires or something, or another alternative, Walmart does carry an offbrand white letter tire in that size:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mastercra...70R14/47406026

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I think I am going to go with Magnum 500 wheels (14x6) and either BF Goodrich T/A 205/70R14 or Maxxis with 3/4" white sidewall stripe. Any opinions on the Maxxis tires?
Hey 6stang02...you mentioned you wanted to look at the wheels I have..... you want more pics than posted above?

Tom

GT Member

Garage
The pictures i were intrested in would be the new rims if you did decide to increase the rim size, ie 15/16". If youd like to get a good made rim, wheel vinteques is the place we are shopping for the gt. My dad also is intested with the styled alloy rims legendary sells, less rim flex is his claim for wanting them. But if no additional increase in size is needed then the pictures would be irrelevant. The problem we are having is that we dont want it too look too "trashy" with big rims as the 67 sits in the picture i added for giggles. But thank you for the response, good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1483546512218.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	548737  

19 GT PP1
65 GT A-Code Mustang 289
66 GT A-Code Mustang 289
PONY Member

they are hard to find, but if available the Pirelli P3 in the size 195/70-14 is a very good tire, with decent traction. I used it for many years on my '66 GT350.

After several near crashes. I gave up on the BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires that I had been using. Although they were nearly new, the lack of traction with that tire makes them unacceptable to me. On both wet and dry pavement they will lose their grip without warning. And thats happening at moderate speeds too, not speeding or racing ! Don't even think about emergency braking or changing directions to avoid a collision, the car will not go where you point it. Sadly, the tire has great looks, which is all some buyers are considering. I just say, do some homework before going the BFG Radial T/A route.

on the VMF you can find numerous posts by others (who drive their cars a lot) who have had the same experiences as I have had with that tire.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

re

This is where I am headed with my wheels and tires (pics attached). tires are 195/70R14, wheels re 14x6
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	54---Magnum-500.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	548745  
Attached Images

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbohann View Post
This is where I am headed with my wheels and tires (pics attached). tires are 195/70R14, wheels re 14x6
You can't go wrong with the Magnum 500 wheel. I think it's the best looking wheel to come out of the 1960's.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
You can get the Magnum 500's in 15" too, which looks very similar to the 14" with beauty rings - but it's a lot easier to find tires for, and handling is a bit better. I've been very happy with the set I've got on my Cougar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page