351w/ 427 stroked...tearing up distributer gears - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By a793aa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

351w/ 427 stroked...tearing up distributer gears

I have a 351w stroked to a 427, anyone out there have any issues or heard of any issues with tearing up distributer gears? I have in the past with a stock block not stroked yet and to stop tearing up the gear on the cam went to a brass gear then a carbon composit. I built this stroker Windsor about 5 years ago with an aftermarket block & only ran the carbon composit gear, but still tear up gears. I know they are made to wear out but sometimes is quicker than others depending on how hard I run the car. a stock oil pump, 10w 30 oil, gears mesh well, drilled a tiny hole in plug above cam to get oil spray rite on gears, not sure about cam walk. looking for info if anyone heard of this? cam shim kit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017
Rookie

Have you checked your oil pump drive for clearance? Could be straining the distributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017
PONY Member

Sounds like the specs. are wrong on the dist. gear. I've never had a single gear failure using the stock measurements for gear placement. And I've routinely used cast iron gears, high volume oil pumps, and Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic oil . In fact, the gear on my last build showed no wear after 80,000 miles ( on my last '66 Shelby) using the listed parts above.

No, I don't think you should routinely expect the gears to wear out.

PS. if you are using a roller cam, then a steel gear is called for, otherwise use only iron gears with a flat tappet cam.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
I am not as familiar with 351s as I am with 302's (5.0's), but with them, your cam's gear determines whether you need a steel or brass gear for the distributor. 5.0 HO type (roller) cams usually require a steel gear, and will eat brass. Fortunately, the gears aren't hard to swap on distributors.

I'm guessing it's exactly the same situation with the 351.

I'd call your cam manufacturer and ask them, just to be sure.

(looks like Zray beat me to it! )
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019
Rookie
Classic Member

The Mustang shop found the distributor gear on my 347 Stroker engine was brass and was worn and causing excessive timing play. My engine has a roller cam as well. The distributor gear was replaced promptly with a steel gear. One of my many surprises with this car.
JustAnotherRuki and Grimbrand like this.

1966 Mustang w/ 347 Stroker engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page