Rack & Pinion power conversion - 68/302 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Rack & Pinion power conversion - 68/302

I am considering doing a Rack & Pinion power steering conversion on my 68. Currently I have manual steering. Has anyone out there done one recently? I know they come with a new steering column, and I would like to retain a near original look inside the car using the same steering wheel and stock steering wheel pad. I have already done a SSBC front disc brake conversion. I have done a lot of the restoration work on this car and am not afraid to get my feet wet, since they are already soggy anyway. Thanks. Rustednutz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017
GT Member

the last time I did it, was about 5 years ago. that was on my daughters 67 . I used total control products rack and pinion conversion kit. http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rack.htmlIt is the same kit I used on my 65. I absolutely love this kit. it will re use your original column, and if you order it for the ford steering wheel you can re-use your steering wheel. it replaces the inner shaft, but re-uses the outer column so it will be completely original looking inside. I used an aftermarket wheel, but you do not have to.

65 mustang. supercharged 302 currie 9 inch, 5 speed.

67 mustang built for my daughter

89 convertible lx in progress

click on the house icon to see my garage page with build info.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017
Apprentice

Borgeson has a kit I've heard good things about. Since you have a '68, you should have the separate shaft and iirc they sell the kit sans shaft for a small savings. Or you could go through and purchase the components separately, the full kit has a small mark up. The box itself is 800111. If your car's a manual you'll need their special z-bar for the clutch linkage to clear the new box.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017
GT Member

And the Borgeson kit will be around $800, less than a third the cost of a power rack & pinion kit and pump (the Borgeson is power and includes the pump). It's also much less labor intensive to install.

But some will say a r&p has more a precise steering feel, because the Borgeson uses a conventional steering box with power assist at the box (no external cylinder).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reeves View Post
And the Borgeson kit will be around $800, less than a third the cost of a power rack & pinion kit and pump (the Borgeson is power and includes the pump). It's also much less labor intensive to install.

But some will say a r&p has more a precise steering feel, because the Borgeson uses a conventional steering box with power assist at the box (no external cylinder).
I've been curious about this myself. The handful of people I've gotten feedback from on the Borgeson kit say it has great feel, but compared to what? The original box isn't exactly great.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017
PONY Member

In my experience, the value of the R&P kits is very overblown. Yes, they will give you nice precise steering. Often at the expense of a terrible turning radius, as well as some compromised suspension attributes. But a properly restored STOCK FORD STEERING BOX will give you the identical steering precision. At much less expense, and without any bad side effects. Also, a restored stock Ford box is a much better piece of engineering than the replacement boxes being sold today.

There is one guy I'd advise the OP to contact by telephone and have a long conversation about what are the goals he is looking for the car to have; Dan at Chock restores these original boxes to new and better than new specifications. The resulting handling from the restored steering box will amaze you.

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

If you wish to contact us by e-mail, fax, phone or letter please contact us at:

CHOCKOSTANG CLASSIC MUSTANG
1624 Chock Rd
Murrayville,
Illinois

(217) 882 2083

Email: [email protected]

CHOCKOSTANG
1624 Chock Rd
Murrayville, ILL

217 882 2083

Talk to Dan at Chock, and at the end of the conversation, you still think a R&P is your best solution, then by all means, follow your instincts. But at least make that call. You will learn A LOT. About the stock Ford steering system, and may just realize than you CAN be very happy with a stock steering system that has been restored properly.

I've been driving these cars since they were new. And I assure you a stock 16:1 box, either with or without the Shelby fast pitman arm, is very precise compared to best R&P units, and will provide many years of service. But it's a sad comparison to take a 50 year old steering box that's had little to none maintenance, and make a decision based upon the poor handling a worn out box gives.

Z

PS. the engine crossmembers I sell is one way improve steering precision that has nothing to do with the steering box condition. On all vintage Mustangs the lower control arm is not sufficiently supported at the frame mount, contributing to unwanted wheel movement. An improved crossmember fixes that at a comparatively low cost.

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)

Last edited by zray; 06-01-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017
Apprentice

I replaced the factory par steering in my 67 convertible with a manual Unisteer R&P unit. My car is a daily driver (not even close to Concurs) so I didn't want to deal with 50 year old components leaking fluid all over the place. I really liked the improved steering. Their kit came with new steering shaft but every else on steering column remains original.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbohann View Post
"......I didn't want to deal with 50 year old components leaking fluid all over the place....".
Oh ye of little faith.

I guess I have more faith is the ability of those with decades of experience in restoring these components. I've installed numerous restored power steering units. To this day they remain dry as the desert and clean to the touch. But each to his own. If spending 5 times what a restored steering box and restored power steering components costs, is what appeals to a person, then by all means let the money fly.

Total disclosure: I'm not a fan of any power steering on these cars . They are very light compared to modern cars, and even weaklings like by daughters had no trouble steering a vintage Mustang at low speeds and no trouble parallel parking when they were leaning to drive at 16 and had arms like spaghetti.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017
Apprentice

It's all good Ray....I actually priced rebuilds and the new rack was about twice the price, not 5x😂....but like you said to each his own....I like my mustang my way, you like your mustang your way....just keep the conversation going
PONY Member

Yes. I just like to present an opposing viewpoint that has some validity.

Aside from originality factor, Shoppers for R&P systems need to know they will be making some trade offs in turning radius with most R&P's, as well as some VERY WELL documented issues with increased bump steer due to the comprimises that happen when ONE R&P unit is being sold to fit in many many different cars.

With the stock set up, you KNOW it was designed to fit your specific car.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang

Last edited by zray; 06-01-2017 at 04:08 PM.
PONY Member

I know I'm fighting an uphill battle here with people that have already made up their minds. But uphill battles are the only kind I know.

A few reviews on what a restored steering box feels like

two thumbs up for Chockostang - Vintage Mustang Forums

Just installed my rebuilt steering box by ChockoStang - Vintage Mustang Forums

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
Oh ye of little faith.

I guess I have more faith is the ability of those with decades of experience in restoring these components. I've installed numerous restored power steering units. To this day they remain dry as the desert and clean to the touch. But each to his own. If spending 5 times what a restored steering box and restored power steering components costs, is what appeals to a person, then by all means let the money fly.

Total disclosure: I'm not a fan of any power steering on these cars . They are very light compared to modern cars, and even weaklings like by daughters had no trouble steering a vintage Mustang at low speeds and no trouble parallel parking when they were leaning to drive at 16 and had arms like spaghetti.

Z
The only time the manual steering is really an issue for me is parallel parking on hot days in the city. Ew. Otherwise I definitely like the manual steering. Even with the slop in my current, in-need-of-a-rebuild box, there's some decent feedback.

However!

Down the line I'm looking to fit a.) much wider rubber, and b.) want a tighter steering ratio. I know the originals were offered in, what, 19:1 and 16:1? Borgeson offers a 13:1 power box which sounds very appealing, I just don't know how easy it'd be to live with a 13:1 manual box or even a 16:1 manual.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00f View Post
The only time the manual steering is really an issue for me is parallel parking on hot days in the city. Ew. Otherwise I definitely like the manual steering. Even with the slop in my current, in-need-of-a-rebuild box, there's some decent feedback.

However!

Down the line I'm looking to fit a.) much wider rubber, and b.) want a tighter steering ratio. I know the originals were offered in, what, 19:1 and 16:1? Borgeson offers a 13:1 power box which sounds very appealing, I just don't know how easy it'd be to live with a 13:1 manual box or even a 16:1 manual.
Ha ha, you've got me there. But I suppose you could just build up those arms of yours with a few minutes with the bar bells, which might be cheaper than the Borgenson parts.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page