Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 93Vertang
  • 1 Post By Grimbrand
  • 1 Post By Ivy66GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Mpg question

Searched for this but didn't see so sorry if it's already been covered.

Mine is a stock 289, 2v, 2bbl in a 1967 convertible with no upgrades, no a/c, power brakes, manual steering. I'm getting roughly 12.5 mpg city cruising. What has been your experience? Is this reasonable mpg?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017
Rookie

Tune it up and enjoy the top down. Gas is no problem as long as it's not your daily driver. I would take care of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Beechkid likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017
BOSS Member

Ours has been in the family since it wa new....it was my moms car....dad picked the drivetrain & mom picked the colors...
anyway with regards to mpg......ours is a 289, 4 speed, 2.80 gears.......the drivetrain was/well, not stock as this was a special order....so, to your question

My mom was "the little ol lady from Pasadena"....and could really race! My mom's gas mileage....

Highway: 21 mpg constant
City: 18 mpg constant

but todays fuels reduce this mpg by a couple mpg's easy.....for myself...

Highway: 18-20 mpg
city: 16-17 mpg

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
My original engine would get about 13 in town, and roughly 17 out on the highway, typically. 289 2v, with a C4 3 speed auto, 2.80 rear gears.

On a drive at 55, with a 50 mph wind behind me, I might've gotten 24 mpg once. Maybe.

With a few upgrades, I get 21+ mpg all the time at 75+ mph now. Back then, I could never keep my foot out of it, so that probably had a lot to do with it.
Beechkid likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017
Rookie

I just checked mine a few weeks back. About 14 mpg around town. Stock 289 4 barrel, 4 speed with no air or power steering. 3.0 gears with traction lock (upgrade). The tank is only 16 gallons so it needs refilling often. My Mustang is just for fun, so I don't really care about mileage.

1964 convertable, D code, 4 speed. Built July 13, 1964
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017
GT Member

My '66 Coupe with 289 2 barrel carb & A/T with approx. 215,000 miles on it gets 15 in town and 17 on highway. Just drive 'em, that's why they were built - to have lotsa fun.

Ken

"Da Blue Car"

1966 Mustang Coupe 289
Arcadian Blue 205,000 miles -
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017
GT Member

That's about what I got with my '66 289 2- barrel, 2.80 rear end. I put a 4-barrel with a single plane (hi-rise) intake years ago and got around 18 mpg, as long as I didn't put my foot in the floor too often.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbohann View Post
I'm getting roughly 12.5 mpg city cruising. What has been your experience? Is this reasonable mpg?
It wouldn't be all that unusual depending how you define 'city cruising'. You also don't mention what transmission or axle ratio. An automatic would normally be a little lower than a manual and a higher numerical axle will also give less MPG.

Our 289, automatic, A/C with 2.80 axle MPGs are maybe 14 in the 'city' and 20-21 when cruising at a constant 70 on an interstate with the A/C running. We don't travel much in the winter so I can't give a number without A/C. And, no, I don't plan to turn off the A/C this summer long enough to find out.

Because of the way an Autolite works your MPG will go down several digits on a hot summer day; i.e. maybe 17 instead of 20 MPG. The hotter it gets, the more of a reduction. All the fumes that boil out of the float bowl go directly into the air cleaner through those little brass tubes sticking out the top bypassing any metering by the carburetor. The engine will run the same, it just gives less MPG. Its not 'bad gas' as I once thought, its just warmer air temps. If you try to plug those vents you will cause a whole raft of other problems so learn to recognize and live with the 'problem'.
Beechkid likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017
PONY Member

If you are really interested in getting the best tune on your engine, and a nice byproduct of that would be betterment gas mileage, then install an Air / Fuel ratio meter. I'm partial to the AEM analog meter. Summit has them:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-5130

At $215 it isn't cheap, but could easily pay for itself in a year or two with the gas savings. Especially if you drive your classics as much as I have.

It's amazing how lean you can get the cruising circuit, which is really the key to good gas mileage. Tuning with the A/F meter I got over 22 mpg averaging 75 + mph on a 1,600 mile cross country trip thru west Texas and into New Mexico.. having a vintage Paxton supercharger helped me get that milage too. On that '66 GT350 I had a 4 speed toploader with a 2.90 1st gear, 3.00:1 rear gearing w/ traction loc, and tires that were about 25.7 inches in diameter.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post
Because of the way an Autolite works your MPG will go down several digits on a hot summer day; i.e. maybe 17 instead of 20 MPG. The hotter it gets, the more of a reduction. All the fumes that boil out of the float bowl go directly into the air cleaner through those little brass tubes sticking out the top bypassing any metering by the carburetor. The engine will run the same, it just gives less MPG. Its not 'bad gas' as I once thought, its just warmer air temps. If you try to plug those vents you will cause a whole raft of other problems so learn to recognize and live with the 'problem'.
So get a shaker hood scoop, or some other functional ram-air then? *ornery grin*
PONY Member

Garage
If your carb isn't new, this isn't out of range. For about $500 you could get a brand new carb then with a $150 full tuneup package of parts you would probably get better mileage. But you have to figure is this cash outlay going to offset the money you'd save on gas. Most of these cars didn't get more than 20mpg when they were brand new and using 95 octane fuel. Your choice.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Love this forum! Thanks for feedback guys. YEah transmission is C4 automatic, 2.79 rear axle, Autolite carb/2bbl. The car is my retirement toy and it's been so long since I've actively worked on my own cars (early 70's lol) I want to get feedback to see if mechanically the old girl is in the ballpark. Put in Pertronix ignition, replaced plugs and wires we'll see if I get a difference.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page