Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kenash
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 1 Post By Urambo Tauro

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Tire pressure

Probably really dumb post but I don't know answer. My service manual from 1967 shows inflation pressures at 24psi. My new Maxxis radials came from Coker inflated at 30 psi. In the 60s I am assuming ply tires and not radials so what is proper pressure?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbohann View Post
Probably really dumb post but I don't know answer. My service manual from 1967 shows inflation pressures at 24psi. My new Maxxis radials came from Coker inflated at 30 psi. In the 60s I am assuming ply tires and not radials so what is proper pressure?
Your manual doesn't apply to your new tires, what does it say on the side of the tires??

put the pedal down and ride the MUSTANG to the end!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbohann View Post
My service manual from 1967 shows inflation pressures at 24psi.
Read the fine print. The handbook for our '66 also says 24 psi...as long as you never go over 60 MPH. 6-0 was considered 'high speed' in those days? Over 60 you were to use 28 psi. Even that is ridiculously low to provide a soft, cushy ride. Many of us still remember a few years ago when Fords were rolling over from too little tire pressure? The political wrangling over that is why new cars now have TPMS as standard equipment.

Pressures for radial or bias-ply aren't that much different. The car still needs similar psi in its tires to hold up the weight no matter how the belts are oriented inside the tire.

I have never had a tire of any kind on any Ford product for which I used less than 30 psi inflation pressure. Even that may be too low. The pressure molded on the sidewall is the maximum for that tire. Its usually 44 psi which will give you a pretty rough ride. The optimum will be less than that based upon tire wear and handling which is determined by trial and error for any new type of tire. But unless you only drive in parking lots don't even consider starting your pressure trials at less than 30 psi. For either of our '66 Mustangs 32 psi is 'normal' and maybe even 35 if I will be on an interstate with the car loaded for a long trip. Low pressure and high speeds make for high tire temperatures; high temperature is what destroys tires at speed.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017
GT Member

I'm in the same court as Ivy. I run 30F-32R most of the time in my BFGs. It's a little more "cushy", I guess.
huberoy123 likes this.

Ken
Severna Park, MD
1964 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt Resto-Mod
333 cu.in, dual Webers, CI cam, TW heads,TRI-Ys, 3.55 rear, T5z, TCP susp., real leather seating
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017
BOSS Member

Our stang has been in the family since new and back in the day when we switched to radials (185x70x14), we ran 32 psi in all 4, today I am running 225x60x14 and have found that 32 psi on all fours is still right on the mark.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017
PONY Member

I run 35 in the front and 28 in the back of my 68 Barracuda. Any more than 28 in the back and the ride starts to suffer and the center of the tires wear more.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017
PONY Member

Garage
Just use the pressure listed on the side of the tire. Improper tire pressure will increase tire wear and unbalanced tire pressure could cause a handling problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
Just use the pressure listed on the side of the tire. Improper tire pressure will increase tire wear and unbalanced tire pressure could cause a handling problem.
now you can really cause problems..the psi on the side of the tire is the maximum psi the tire mfg has stated for that tire.....that is a far difference from the recommend tire pressure...............

as an example, the max psi listed on my new yokohama's on the truck is 50 psi.....Ford list the recommended tire psi at 35 psi.
Urambo Tauro likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017
GT Member

You can always do the chalk test.

Start with a good alignment and a ballpark guess tire pressure. Use chalk (or marker, whatever) to draw a line across the width of the tread. Drive it, and see how the chalk wears. Try different pressures until the chalk wears evenly. That's how your tires will wear.
Beechkid likes this.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
Apprentice

The back end of these mustangs are so light, I run 20 psi in the rear and 30 psi in the front for my 68 coupe. I have BFGoodrich Radial T/A's. The best way to tell is how the tire wears. If it wears in the middle, the pressure it too high. If it wears toward the outside, the pressure is too low. Plus, I get better traction running 20 psi in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page