How to Color Match Kick Panels with Speakers - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
How to Color Match Kick Panels with Speakers

Thinking of buying some kick panel speakers when I update the stereo. All that I've seen, the kick panels come in black and instruct you to "dye" to match your interior. I have a 1966 fastback with red carpet. Anyone know how you find a dye to match the carpet? Is there a spray dye that works like spray paint? Looking for suggestions.

1966 Mustang 2+2, A code, AOD AT, PS, PDB, AC, Pony deluxe interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poqman View Post
Thinking of buying some kick panel speakers when I update the stereo. All that I've seen, the kick panels come in black and instruct you to "dye" to match your interior. I have a 1966 fastback with red carpet. Anyone know how you find a dye to match the carpet? Is there a spray dye that works like spray paint? Looking for suggestions.
Yes you can get plastic dye/paint for the black plastic. I sprayed mine match my ivy gold interior. You first use a plastic adhesion promoter. I think I ordered mine from cjpony , all the supply houses should have it to match. Beware there are few speakers that are shallow enough to fit. One is a pioneer that doesn't sound too good. I used spacer rings to fit thicker speakers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017
Rookie

The DuPont products for vinyl and fabric are actually really good. I did my door panels and it has held up way better than I thought it would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
I've heard a lot of great things about Leather Magic, too. I've seen a couple cars where the entire interior was recolored/repaired using their products, and it's pretty impressive stuff. It's what I'm going to use to color my new kick panels, just to make sure it matches my seats. My new front seats are currently black, but I'm going to dye them to match my original Dark Blue Levant Leather back seats. Might as well get enough of the dye to match a few extra panels.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
What I did and used when I painted the plastic on my 01 ranger (it was Bright island Blue) I used this stuff called BULL DOG Its for plastic

then I used Krylon FUSION paint for plastic. I was easy to use and looked great. I painted the plenum cover (4.0 SOHC) Fluid caps air box

Ranger emblem and jack cover behind the seat

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017
Rookie

Quote:
This is what I used. It worked very nicely.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/interior...3/p/LAC6473-V/

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
thanks guy's! I found Dupli-Color plastic adhesion promoter and vinyl dye in rattle cans. I guess I can order the black side kick panels now and upgrade my radio.

1966 Mustang 2+2, A code, AOD AT, PS, PDB, AC, Pony deluxe interior
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017
Rookie

Quote:
thanks guy's! I found Dupli-Color plastic adhesion promoter and vinyl dye in rattle cans. I guess I can order the black side kick panels now and upgrade my radio.
I think vinyl dye is for vinyl and porous materials. Let us know how you make out.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017
GT Member

Yea, I think tilmoore69 is right. You want paint for the hard vinyl kickpanels, not dye, as indicated in the description for the CJPony product he/she cited.

For whatever it's worth, I put plastic eve vents in my house at least 10 years ago. Their wrappers had in big bold letters, NOT PAINTABLE. I sprayed them with Fusion, a color close to the house trim color, then painted them with the trim color latex paint. Worked like a charm, and they still look great.
PONY Member

Just to be sure the kick panels should match the metal parts of the interior NOT the carpet! thats why early "pony" or deluxe interior cars had one color on the hard plastic and a contrasting color on the lower carpeted half of the panels.

But as above you need PAINT not dye and a good plastic primer ( most auto or home stores)

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
GT Member

When I painted my console to bright red, I used Acrylic paint in a rattle can that I had matched to the interior red colour and used a plastic undercoat also in a rattle can.
Been that way for 4 years now and the paint has not chipped or flaked off.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page