• 2 Post By 67moneypit
  • 1 Post By 67moneypit
  • 1 Post By Yadkin
  • 1 Post By 67moneypit

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Lower radiator hose with late model 5.0 / 5.8

This isn't a question, really, as I have already found the answer, but more of a helpful note to those in the same boat...

When swapping a late model 302 / 5.0 / 5.8 into an early Mustang, Falcon, ect. there is the issue of the lower radiator hose. This post is for those who are scouring the internet for solutions because they just discovered that the late model water pump's port now exits on the driver's side instead of the passenger of the earlier water pumps. The problem is that the radiator still has the outlet on the passenger side. There are several solutions to this that I am aware of.

1: Buy a 1970 radiator, as it has the outlet on the driver's side to match your late model water pump.

2: Scott Drake makes a conversion hose set (C4ZE-8260/86-50) that gets so/so reviews

3: Ron Morris makes a crossover hose that appears quite nice, but is about $130

4: Universal lower hose. Fairly cheap, but looks bad and doesn't have factory-type bends in it.

I didn't like any of those options, so I took a piece of fuel line I had laying around, bent it into the shape of the radiator hose I needed, and off to the parts stores I went. After several stops, return trips to test fit, and an entire day of aggravation, I finally found the solution! Drum roll..............

Gates part number: 23308 Approx. $27
It is a factory replacement upper radiator hose for a 1996-2003 Ford E-350 with the 7.3 diesel. After trimming about 1.5-2" off of each end, it is a perfect fit. It drops down beautifully from the drivers side water pump port, down and around the harmonic balancer, in front of the sway bar, and neatly curves back into the radiator.

I made this post because I had searched every forum I could think of, googled 'till my eyes hurt and never found a definitive answer. I hope this saves some time, money and frustration for a few folks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lower radiator hose.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	585537  

- Scooter
1968 Mustang. 351w, T-5 Five Speed, 8.8, 3.73 trac lock rear end. Power, four wheel disc brakes, (CSRP up front, 8.8 discs out back) Shelby Drop...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Nice job. I frequently ask the guys at O's to let me in the stock room so I can find a Gates hose that will fit my restomod. They are happy to oblige.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
What a great cheap solution! Well done, sir.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017
GT Member

Very nice! I've often wondered how people manage to find the right radiator hoses for modified applications. Seems like a whole bunch of trial-and-error, unless there's some way to search molded hoses by size, routing, and length.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 12-19-2017 at 07:29 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Parts makers aren't very good at giving out dimensional information for their products, and it makes resto-modding a challenge sometimes.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Nice job. I frequently ask the guys at O's to let me in the stock room so I can find a Gates hose that will fit my restomod. They are happy to oblige.
Thank you! The folks at the parts stores here know me pretty well. Most of my stops in there are for... Creative fixes. Not many of my projects can be solved with the typical "What make and model are we working on today, Sir?" Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
What a great cheap solution! Well done, sir.
Thanks! I figured that I must not be the only one shoving late model engines in an early Mustang, Falcon, ect and a few folks might find the info useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
Very nice! I've often wondered how people manage to find the right radiator hoses for modified applications. Seems like a whole bunch of trial-and-error, unless there's some way to search molded hoses by size, routing, and length.
You are right on about the "whole bunch of trial and error." As far as I know, that's the only way to find one that fits, unless you stumble upon a poor soul who had been down the path before.
Urambo Tauro likes this.

- Scooter
1968 Mustang. 351w, T-5 Five Speed, 8.8, 3.73 trac lock rear end. Power, four wheel disc brakes, (CSRP up front, 8.8 discs out back) Shelby Drop...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67moneypit View Post
Not many of my projects can be solved with the typical "What make and model are we working on today, Sir?" Haha.
I learned decades ago that when they ask me that, I reply "custom".
Urambo Tauro likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Haha. Exactly. Or "You're probably going to need to write this down."
Yadkin likes this.

- Scooter
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017
Apprentice

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to jsh13
Quote:

I say that but many of the people still insist on putting the information into the computer. When I was looking for a serpentine style belt for my 66 the guy told me they only had the single rib and even brought some out to show me.

---
JeffH
66 Coupe
302, 4V, SROD 4-spd
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh13 View Post
I say that but many of the people still insist on putting the information into the computer. When I was looking for a serpentine style belt for my 66 the guy told me they only had the single rib and even brought some out to show me.
They'd definitely have a hard time with mine. I've got a two-belt March system with a Chevy PS pump* and a Sanden style AC compressor.

*(Incredibly, the factory (replica) hoses for my power steering fit the pump, and the pump lives fine with Type F fluid.)

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh13 View Post
I say that but many of the people still insist on putting the information into the computer.

I know the feeling. Its hard to keep track of all the different years/makes/models of donor cars. As I build mine, I have been writing an "owners manual" of sorts. That way, if I need to replace something, I have a reference as to what I can tell the parts counter people to look up. Also, in the event I ever go insane and sell my car, the future owner will have a source of information to refer to.

- Scooter
Rookie

Garage
Thats cheaper than my solution was. I had/have a Griffen radiator that I purchased for my 6-8 swap, but it had the early mustang passenger side. Instead of trouble shooting like you did, I just bought another Griffen radiator so I didn't have to mess with it. If I had only known.

So on that note, does anyone want a brand new Griffen radiator for an early mustang? Never been run, only mocked up! Ill even include a Gates 23308 Hose.

1966 Coupe, V8 Swap to 306 with Heads/Cam, AOD, 8" rear with Trac-Lock and 3.42 gears, full Hotchkis/Global West suspension, Wilwood 6-piston 14" brakes up front, Wilwood 4-piston 14" brakes in the rear, oh! And Air Conditioning.
Rookie

Just a thought. Moneypit mentioned that this was an upper hose used in a lower hose application. Just note that the lower hose may be on the intake side of the pump and so, under some possible conditions, might collapse. Usually the lower hose has some wire in it to prevent that. Might never be a problem but might need to be monitored, at least for a while.

Otherwise, great idea, Art.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in