Carpet installation - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rhutt
  • 1 Post By Grimbrand

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Carpet installation

I stripped my cars interior down to bare metal, sanded, primed and painted the floor pans, and other exposed metal, and repaired the rocker panels that had more rust than I could ignore.

I added Dynamat extreme and 1/2" Dynaliner (to the floor pans) 1/4" Dynaliner (to the transmission tunnel, wanted to make sure the center console would still fit).

I've been installing new Essex style carpet and the fit is great except for the front end of the transmission tunnel @ the shifter. The carpet has at least 2-3" of extra material. It's not going to be a snug fit no matter how much I pull the carpet outward, towards the rocker panels.

I've never had a carpet fit this loosely before. There is a center console, so I'm considering slicing the carpet over the tunnel and pulling the excess material snug and then adhering it to the Dynaliner or looping the edges back together with a carpet thread and tape. Anything I'm missing ?

Ain't no going back once you make that first cut.

65, 289 A code, 5 speed, convertible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017
Apprentice

As long as the console covers the split seam, I don't see any downside to your plan. If a trim shop were doing the job, they wouldn't hesitate doing exactly the same thing. They would reinstall the console and probably never even tell you that they did it.

metaylor3 likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Holley 670 Street Avenger,
MSD Ignition, JBA Headers & Exhaust , T-5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017
PONY Member

Garage
Too bad the carpet is a misfit. I'd go with the cut and stitch plan. That way there's no chance of foot pressure next to the tunnel pulling the carpet off the tape.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
Too bad the carpet is a misfit. I'd go with the cut and stitch plan. That way there's no chance of foot pressure next to the tunnel pulling the carpet off the tape.
Yeah, the rear fits very nicely, and the front fits great other than the excess carpet over the tunnel. Gonna stitch it up once I install the running sill plates.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Midlothian, is this mass-backed carpet? Do you have padding, even over the transmission hump? Might explain why it's a little 'roomy' if you haven't!
Beechkid likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
Midlothian, is this mass-backed carpet? Do you have padding, even over the transmission hump? Might explain why it's a little 'roomy' if you haven't!
No, I already had purchased Dynaliner so not mass backed. It covers the floor pans and transmission tunnel.

1/2" on floors and 1/4" on tunnel, its still got 2-2 3/4" of play so its the carpet not the padding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page