Borgeson power steering conversion - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Borgeson power steering conversion

Just finished installing the Borgeson PS kit in my 1966 coupe. The car came with factory PS but i like the concept of this mod better. Anyway, I thought I'd offer some advice on the install which was a be ach! When it comes to cutting the column take your time during the measuring process. I cut mine with a 4" high-speed grinder which wasn't a straight cut so in the process of trimming it to make the cut even I got a little too aggressive and cut the column too short. It installed ok but there was a 1/4" gap between the steering wheel and the column that I couldn't live with so I bought another column on ebay for $35. I cut the new column with a chop saw the second time
The other thing is the plate that comes with the kit (no new rubber gasket which you need to replace) to support the column and cover the hole at the firewall should NOT be installed before you put the cut column in. Slide it and the gasket up on the column before you install the column and then screw in place. This may seem simple but I wasted a lot of time trying to get the column in through the plate and gasket already mounted in place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I did this mod on my 65 a couple years ago. Agree it's not as simple as it might appear on Youtube! But it sure beats the hell out of the old leaky, sloppy OEM unit.

rodbender and Grimbrand like this.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018
PONY Member

Did my 67 years ago, been great and trouble free.

Restomod Steering

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018
PONY Member
Classic Member

I did this on my 65 several years ago. I would recommend this kit to anyone in need of power Steering.
Hydrolic hose were a little short and came very close ( touching) the exhaust manifole. Called borgeson and they sent me 2 longer hoses for exchange of the short ones. Great Kit.
Joe
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018
Apprentice

I did this conversion earlier this year on a 65 Fastback/289. I asked Borgeson to send me their hoses for a 6-cylinder, rather than an 8-cylinder car. The 6-cylinder hoses are a bit longer and will give you more clearance away from the exhaust manifolds.
stlwagon and Cobra6 like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC65 View Post
I did this conversion earlier this year on a 65 Fastback/289. I asked Borgeson to send me their hoses for a 6-cylinder, rather than an 8-cylinder car. The 6-cylinder hoses are a bit longer and will give you more clearance away from the exhaust manifolds.

K4JOE Joe is offline PONY Member

View My Profile!

Classic Member

K4JOE Joe's Country Flag
Pell City,AL 65 "D" code Alabama
K4JOE Joe is on a distinguished road
I did this on my 65 several years ago. I would recommend this kit to anyone in need of power Steering.
Hydrolic hose were a little short and came very close ( touching) the exhaust manifole. Called borgeson and they sent me 2 longer hoses for exchange of the short ones. Great Kit.
Joe

This is good to know! I haven't installed the hoses yet. I'll check it out.

Thanks!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC65 View Post
Maybe the 65 is different? Or they figured it out? The hoses that I received in my kit are the perfect length.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018
PONY Member

I cut the collumn with a reciprocating saw with a fine steel blade. It works perfectly every time. just mark it perfectly by wrapping tape and stay on the mark as you cut.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018
Rookie
Classic Member

Did this conversion about 6 years ago...love it and no issues. The only hiccup I had was tracking down the correct serpentine pulley.

~NOS is like a hot chick with an STD...you want to hit it but are afraid of the consequences after~
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Addendum: I had the car in the frame shop to have the new suspension professionally aligned. The mechanic pointed out that there was no “return ability” in the steering which I hadn’t noticed. I called Borgeson cs who told me to make sure the caster was set 3-5 degrees which they set to 4 but didn’t change anything. The mechanic thought the steering box was bad. After talking to Borgeson cs they said they’d replace the steering box but that they thought it was something else. One of their techs suggested the bushing at the end of the column could be binding the shaft. I removed the bushing and reamed it out 1/16” which fixed the problem.
I like this sustem even more now!
PONY Member

I have never been a fan of Borgeson boxes.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
I have never been a fan of Borgeson boxes.
Is there a comparable conversion kit that you do like? They said the same thing at the alignment shop. The angle of the shaft to the gearbox through the rag joint was off just enough to cause the binding. Opening the bushing a little made it work free and easy. It’s very smooth and tracks great at all speeds. It was just a hassle trying to figure it out.
There does seem to be a lot of complaints about Borgeson.
PONY Member

I actually prefer the OEM setups either power or manual. Manual is my personal preference. I like to feel the road and have a direct link to the wheels.
Apprentice

One day everyone will own a Borgesson...... the smart ones that is.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDLOTHIAN View Post
One day everyone will own a Borgesson...... the smart ones that is.
LOL nope.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page