• 1 Post By GT'sGT
  • 1 Post By Yadkin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Thoughts about using my old smog pump.

Hello,
I am restoring a 1966 coupe (289) that had a smog pump. I am not going to reinstall the smog system but thought maybe I could use the old smog air pump (gutted and with new bearings) instead of an idler pulley for the AC belt? Otherwise I believe I'll need to buy a different alternator bracket and idler pulley system. I plan to replace the old factory AC compressor with an after market sanden style.
Anyone done this before? I apprecite your thoughts.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018
PONY Member

I wouldn't have an idler or an unused smog pump installed. Just get a belt the correct length. You can use a string to find the length you need.

Beechkid likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
If you need an idler pulley, I think that would be a cool way to do it.
Beechkid likes this.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018
PONY Member

Garage
I know that '66's could come with AC but I don't think they had smog pumps. Unless your state requires the smog pump with the engine I'd leave it off and change the belt length (if everything will line up without the pump).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
I know that '66's could come with AC but I don't think they had smog pumps. Unless your state requires the smog pump with the engine I'd leave it off and change the belt length (if everything will line up without the pump).
California cars were made with smog pumps, extra vacuum lines, a different air cleaner and oil cap and 1 of 2 different thermactor set ups depending on which plant assembled the car.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
California cars were made with smog pumps, extra vacuum lines, a different air cleaner and oil cap and 1 of 2 different thermactor set ups depending on which plant assembled the car.
Yes. This is my car. I removed the thermactor system. I cut off all the steel tubes, removed and braised the holes in the plugs and reinstalled them in their ports in the cylinder heads.
My understanding is the AC compressor vibrates excessively without a idler pulley for support. Plus, the belt needs to go around the fan/WP pulley. If I run a belt directly to the AC compressor it will hit the fan/WP pulley
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
The
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
If you need an idler pulley, I think that would be a cool way to do it.
Thanks for your approval! I need to take the smog pump apart and see if its feasible to gut it and put new shaft bearings in it.
I'm just wondering if anyone has done it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlkmap View Post
Yes. This is my car. I removed the thermactor system. I cut off all the steel tubes, removed and braised the holes in the plugs and reinstalled them in their ports in the cylinder heads.
My understanding is the AC compressor vibrates excessively without a idler pulley for support. Plus, the belt needs to go around the fan/WP pulley. If I run a belt directly to the AC compressor it will hit the fan/WP pulley
That is not true at all. There were cars built without the smog pump and A/C installed that worked without vibration. If you have the belt tension incorrect it can cause problems. Too tight and bearings wear too fast, too loose and you get the vibration and belt slap you referred to.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

The smog pump ran from a 3rd groove on the water pump pulley. From the factory the A/C belt never touched the water pump pulley and that A/C belt used an idler. Otherwise, there was no way to tension the belt. That same idler was required to keep the A/C belt from touching the water pump pulley. Even with the idler the A/C belt still vibrates because its running a piston compressor.

I am sure many of the smog pumps have had their internals removed although I have never owned one to know exactly how you would go about it. The one CA car I bought only had an empty bracket; the pump had been removed before I bought the car.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Your Sanden type compressor shouldn't have much vibration at all. They are significantly smoother in operation than the old York/Tecumseh piston compressors, for obvious reasons.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post
The smog pump ran from a 3rd groove on the water pump pulley. From the factory the A/C belt never touched the water pump pulley and that A/C belt used an idler. Otherwise, there was no way to tension the belt. That same idler was required to keep the A/C belt from touching the water pump pulley. Even with the idler the A/C belt still vibrates because its running a piston compressor.

I am sure many of the smog pumps have had their internals removed although I have never owned one to know exactly how you would go about it. The one CA car I bought only had an empty bracket; the pump had been removed before I bought the car.

My crankshaft pulley has 3 grooves. The inside one runs the alternator via the inner (2-groove) WP pulley. The middle one turns the power sterring pump via the outside groove on the WP pulley. The third turns the AC and smog pump which is used to adjust the belt tension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page