'66 under dash AC assembly diagram - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
'66 under dash AC assembly diagram

Hi,
I'm wodering if anyone has or can point me to where I can find a good diagram of the under-dash factory ac blower/evaporator assembly?
I have mine apart but the housing doesn't want to go back together very easily. There's a thin aluminum plate on top of the evaporator that appears to be preventing the reassembly. I'm not sure if I'm putting it in correctly and also wondering it's purpose. Maybe a baffle to help direct the airflow?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018
PONY Member

This should help just run it in reverse

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

A picture is worth a thousand words...and doesn't take a half an hour to watch! See attached drawing from the Ford catalog which also provides Ford part numbers for the things inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC blowup.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	604957  

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
IVY66GT...Thank you very much! Mine is a little different in that the evaporator hose attachments come up the middle instead of the side. Also this diagram doesn't show the plate I refered to and mine has a screen in front of the evaporator.
You wouldn't have the diagram for that one would you?

Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018
PONY Member

Are you sure you have an Original Ford Mustang unit? There were several under dash units available backing the day both Frigidaire and Allstate pop to mind . Both looked similar to the Ford units but as they were "Universal" there are differences, because the 64-65 all exited on the side the 66 and early 67 add one units had a center exit for the hoses. Notice the dished front and camera case finish versus the flat bright finish in the diagram above.

the 64-65 factory units the vent balls and two concentric rings. the 66 units had only one ring and a cross. Check a shop manual it should help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 6.38.15 AM.png
Views:	33
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	604979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 6.46.02 AM.png
Views:	18
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	604981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 6.45.37 AM.png
Views:	17
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	604983  

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlkmap View Post
Mine is a little different in that the evaporator hose attachments come up the middle instead of the side. Also this diagram doesn't show the plate I refered to and mine has a screen in front of the evaporator...
Since the drawing was labeled for '66 I didn't look that closely. But, yes, my '66 is as you describe which is different than the drawing I posted yesterday. I don't think I have had mine apart far enough to answer you original question about the plate.

Unfortunately, the '75 parts manual does not give us any other choice of drawings for a '66. The next drawing in the series looks much, much different. The drawings in the '66 shop manual don't show the innards of the evaporator unit and even indicate the hoses connect on the end which is not correct for a '66.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylensmanfl View Post
Are you sure you have an Original Ford Mustang unit? There were several under dash units available backing the day both Frigidaire and Allstate pop to mind . Both looked similar to the Ford units but as they were "Universal" there are differences, because the 64-65 all exited on the side the 66 and early 67 add one units had a center exit for the hoses. Notice the dished front and camera case finish versus the flat bright finish in the diagram above.

the 64-65 factory units the vent balls and two concentric rings. the 66 units had only one ring and a cross. Check a shop manual it should help
Yes I'm sure. I have the '66 camera case finish with the one-cross vent balls. There is a screen that was adhered (with soft adhesive like "sweet gum") to the top of the case cover and draped over the front of the evaporator. There is also a thin aluminum plate that sat on top of the evaporater that seems like it was some kind of baffle plate?
I haven't seen or been able to find a diagram that shows these parts and was wondering if someone could provide one.

Thanks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post
Since the drawing was labeled for '66 I didn't look that closely. But, yes, my '66 is as you describe which is different than the drawing I posted yesterday. I don't think I have had mine apart far enough to answer you original question about the plate.

Unfortunately, the '75 parts manual does not give us any other choice of drawings for a '66. The next drawing in the series looks much, much different. The drawings in the '66 shop manual don't show the innards of the evaporator unit and even indicate the hoses connect on the end which is not correct for a '66.
Thank you. I'm sure it will go back together okay Unfortunately I made the mistake of not taking enough pictures when I took it apart.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
I called Original Air in Tampa and a gentleman told me that the plate goes on the bottom of the evaporater and acts as a drip pan for condensation.
Put it on the bottom and everything fits great. Yay! Thanks for everyones help. I still can't find a good parts diagram for the 1966 camera case finish unit. Oh well.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Unfortunately I made the mistake of not taking enough pictures when I took it apart.

A common problem for us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlkmap View Post
...the plate goes on the bottom of the evaporater and acts as a drip pan for condensation.
That is good to know. I have had the front off to access the thermostat but never had mine any further apart. I am very familiar with the screen. Until I added a valve in the heater hose to shut off the unwanted heat in the summer that screen in front of the evaporator would ice over causing the thermostat to shut the A/C off every 5 minutes in the humid climate east of Tulsa. Fortunately, shutting off hot water to the heater solved that problem. Ford added their own heater shutoff valve for 1967.

Since we can't find any official drawing of it, do you have a photo to post showing how that plate fits inside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page