'65 Fastback Quarter Panel Vent Windows - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

'65 Fastback Quarter Panel Vent Windows

All-

Just bought a 65 fastback shell. Body is in decent shape, engine looks to be the original one (but frozen), transmission and most of the interior was obviously robbed for another car at some point. It came (of course) with a couple of boxes of miscellaneous parts, including the outside vent covers for the quarter panel vents. What else do I need to put the vents together? My last Mustang was a coupe so I've never dealt with these, and the big-box online parts stores don't have any complete sets that I can find... Thanks!

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018
PONY Member

There is an outer piece an inner piece with slider a trim bezel and air box and a drain hose. Of course various clips and screws as well as some interior trim to match up t the rest of the car

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 6.42.09 AM.png
Views:	78
Size:	661.0 KB
ID:	606185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 6.41.29 AM.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	606187  

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylensmanfl View Post
There is an outer piece an inner piece with slider a trim bezel and air box and a drain hose. Of course various clips and screws as well as some interior trim to match up t the rest of the car
Got it, thanks! Couple follow-up questions if you don't mind - are they interchangeable with other years? ('66)? Also, any recommendations on how to seal it once it all goes in?

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018
PONY Member

65 and 66 are the same car. The difference is the 66 had the GT gauge set standard.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
65 and 66 are the same car. The difference is the 66 had the GT gauge set standard.
Thanks - I knew they were similar but didn't know they were an exact match, that's really helpful to know going forward, since I'll be pretty much putting the car together from scratch - not much usable came with the car. I'm hoping the block is in OK shape and I can rebuild from there. The interior pieces (what there was of them) are not re-usable, so I'm going to have to replace almost everything but the body. Should be fun!

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018
PONY Member

There are a couple of other cosmetic changes, but the sheet metal is the same. The 65 had bars with no horizontal sweeps

66 had a rear quarter trim with 3 fingers sticking out

the grilles are slightly different with the 66 having a free floating horse and corral

and the 65 is held in place with a vertical bar in the center.

The 65 gas cap has 3 notches and the 66 is round with reeded edges.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018
PONY Member

The factory used strip caulk around the outer bezel. the inner box and bezel are designed to channel the water thru a hose down and out at the bottom of the 1/4 panel. Functionally there is very little difference between the 65 and 66 model years in most aspects of the car.
The fastback models tend to rust a bit more in the front edge of the 1/4 panels due to the above mentioned drain hoses.
Many people have pulled the air extractors off their fastback and replace them with the shelby style 1/4 window kits, these allow a little more light in a little more visibility out and eliminate the water incursion issues of the air extractors. I know the window kits were reproduced at brand performance years ago.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018
Rookie

Hi there, just finished up my vent windows so I’m just a few steps ahead of you. Fortunately I had most my parts but I can tell you, tracking down the missing ones is a big PITA. There are actually a ton of parts and screws that go into these vent assemblies, I’d recommend getting the original assembly manual to guide you. The reprints are available from CJPP, but get the BODY assembly manual for the vents. I made the mistake thinking it would be in the interior assembly manual.

That is correct the assembly is sealed almost all the way around, I used 3M strip caulk to seal and there’s some pretty big gaps that need extra attention even with the assembly mounted correctly. You’ll want to make sure the channel is cleared out and openings for the drain hoses in good order, and be sure to use hose clips where they attach. I’d also recommend sealing the inside of the channel to prevent future rust issues.

I can snap a few pics of the completed install if you need, I haven’t installed the sail panels yet.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018
Rookie

I'm going to piggy back on to this thread. Does anyone know where to find the chrome insert vents on the inside of the quarter panels? My air extractor slider is working just fine, albeit it's a little pitted. The chrome vents are a little more worn, however. I've searched multiple after market sites and have yet to find these specific pieces.

Any suggestions would be great!

John
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA65FB View Post
Hi there, just finished up my vent windows so Iím just a few steps ahead of you. Fortunately I had most my parts but I can tell you, tracking down the missing ones is a big PITA. There are actually a ton of parts and screws that go into these vent assemblies, Iíd recommend getting the original assembly manual to guide you. The reprints are available from CJPP, but get the BODY assembly manual for the vents. I made the mistake thinking it would be in the interior assembly manual.

That is correct the assembly is sealed almost all the way around, I used 3M strip caulk to seal and thereís some pretty big gaps that need extra attention even with the assembly mounted correctly. Youíll want to make sure the channel is cleared out and openings for the drain hoses in good order, and be sure to use hose clips where they attach. Iíd also recommend sealing the inside of the channel to prevent future rust issues.

I can snap a few pics of the completed install if you need, I havenít installed the sail panels yet.

Thank you!! And yes, I'd love to see the pics - although it sounds like I'll be ordering up a book as well.

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page