Camshaft removal - 289 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By TigerFan96

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Unhappy Camshaft removal - 289

All-

My cam seems stuck. Engine was turning fine before I started the teardown. I've removed the crankshaft, pistons, etc, (it's down to the block), and all of the lifters. Now it barely turns using a breaker bar, and I can't "gently slip the cam out of the block" like it says in my "How to Rebuild the Small-Block Ford".....

Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Thanks!!

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Could be that your bearings have seized? Were any of the lifters torn up? If the cam's toast, then your bearings are toast too, so unless you truly booger up things getting it out, it should be fine. New set of cam bearings, new cam (and go roller this time so you don't have to monkey around with flat-tappet breakin, and ZDP additives, etc.) and BAM!

Hope you manage to get it outta there. =)

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018
PONY Member

Garage
If you can turn the block upside down, try spraying penetrating oil on the cam on both sides of the bearings (those that you can see). Or, if the block is still in the car, try to spray as much penetrating oil on the bearings as possible. Hopefully, this will lube the bearings enough to twist the cam out of the bearings. Otherwise, you may have to use a bearing puller on the end of cam or possibly pry it forward with a pry bar.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
Could be that your bearings have seized? Were any of the lifters torn up? If the cam's toast, then your bearings are toast too, so unless you truly booger up things getting it out, it should be fine. New set of cam bearings, new cam (and go roller this time so you don't have to monkey around with flat-tappet breakin, and ZDP additives, etc.) and BAM!

Hope you manage to get it outta there. =)
Thanks - could be seized (but would the engine have rotated OK while fully assembled if that was the case?). The lifters looked fine and came out with no problem. Definitely going roller cam though!

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
If you can turn the block upside down, try spraying penetrating oil on the cam on both sides of the bearings (those that you can see). Or, if the block is still in the car, try to spray as much penetrating oil on the bearings as possible. Hopefully, this will lube the bearings enough to twist the cam out of the bearings. Otherwise, you may have to use a bearing puller on the end of cam or possibly pry it forward with a pry bar.
Thanks - the block is still in the car for now, but it's all alone- tranny is out, as is everything under the hood (except steering and suspension...). I'll try hitting it with oil tonight and try again tomorrow... If that doesn't work, I'll go ahead and rent a hoist this weekend and put it on a stand so i can get after it from the bottom.... Appreciate it!

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018
GT Member
Classic Member

I would try a dowel of wood and hammer to tap the cam back into the block. Maybe you have a wear lip on the bearings and it is gotten wedged somehow. I might be tempted to put a bolt in the can and finagle a pry bar to lightly pull out on the cam. Push in, pull out, maybe something will give. I am not suggesting any real force, just some light exploratory persuasions.

Ride On,
Noel

"I'll fix it or break it, Guaranteed!"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick467 View Post
I would try a dowel of wood and hammer to tap the cam back into the block. Maybe you have a wear lip on the bearings and it is gotten wedged somehow. I might be tempted to put a bolt in the can and finagle a pry bar to lightly pull out on the cam. Push in, pull out, maybe something will give. I am not suggesting any real force, just some light exploratory persuasions.
Thanks - I've got the engine out now, flipped upside down, and am soaking the bearings with penetrating oil. Going to let it sit overnight and see if it shakes loose - if not, I'll try the wood dowel!

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

At the very worst, you could probably put the block on top of a couple blocks of wood front end down, then pound the cam out from the back, block plug and all. It'll have to come out anyways to replace the cam bearings, which sounds like it's necessary.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018
BOSS Member

a 50/50 mix of acetone/AFT or marvel mystery oil is excellent penetrant that does do some miracles!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul289 View Post
At the very worst, you could probably put the block on top of a couple blocks of wood front end down, then pound the cam out from the back, block plug and all. It'll have to come out anyways to replace the cam bearings, which sounds like it's necessary.
Thanks Paul, that did the trick. One of the bearings came out in slivers, so I'm guessing that was the issue!
paul289, jmallee and Grimbrand like this.

-Patrick

1965 Fastback
289 4V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page