Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seph10

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Putting AC on a 289 with a KRC p/s pump

Has anyone had experience with adding a Sanden 508 compressor to a '65 with a KRC power steering pump? I'm thinking about using this bracket set, which looks like it would fit behind the KRC pump bracket, but I'm not sure about belt routing. I'd like to not learn that something doesn't work after spending a bunch of money.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180609_220913.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	608755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180606_185257.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	608757  

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Thinking that I need a bracket set with an idler pulley on the alternator side, like this kit (see instructions for pictures). Should sit well above the power steering pump, so no clearance issues there.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019
PONY Member

something for you to think about, I installed a vintage air system in my 70 with a 351 Cleveland, at first I ran one belt around everything but the alternator, it worked but I really didn't like it, so I reconfigured the mounting bracket so it hinged the opposite way, ran the belt in the original configuration, then put a double pully on the power steering pump and ran a short belt from the power steering pump to the compressor..
paul289 likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019
PONY Member

I used a kit from Classic Auto Air that came with all the pieces and brackets for the set up the car had in it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
If you run an idler then you really need to use a "toothed" V belt.

You can't go wrong with a March kit. For $840 you'll have a beautiful set up with all new pulleys, everything matching perfectly and a single serpentine belt. It puts a large "wrap" on the alternator, so even if you upgrade to a 140 amp it will never squeal. It mounts the AC compressor low, on the passenger side, and out of the way so you don't have big ugly hoses running over your pretty engine.

It's one of my favorite parts of my build.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019
PONY Member

A little black paint and those will look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post

You can't go wrong with a March kit. For $840 you'll have a beautiful set up with all new pulleys, everything matching perfectly and a single serpentine belt. It puts a large "wrap" on the alternator, so even if you upgrade to a 140 amp it will never squeal. It mounts the AC compressor low, on the passenger side, and out of the way so you don't have big ugly hoses running over your pretty engine.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post

I'm generally pretty short on cash, so spending $840 on a serpentine kit is kind of out of the question. Besides, I've already dumped a bunch into the March V-belt pulleys I currently have, and I'd like to keep the KRC pump if at all possible. I am intrigued by the idea of using a multi-groove pulley to act as a sort of PTO for the AC compressor. Perhaps I could reconfigure the power steering belt to skip the water pump, and then run the AC off of the extra water pump pulley?
Edit: looks like the PS belt would just hit the WP pulley. However, there is a 3-belt water pump pulley for use with smog pump equipped cars. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...view/make/ford

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
A little black paint and those will look good.
The set comes in black for an additional $0. That's how I dressed my FE.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page