'65 T5 short shifter install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

'65 T5 short shifter install

Not a question so much as a write-up.

I've just rebuilt my T5, and thought I'd install a short shifter while I've got it out. It's not possible to install a short shifter in a T5 equipped '65-66 Mustang with the transmission in the car. In addition, it's not possible to not cut anything to install it. Even with a factory T5 shifter, the shifter hole will require some clearancing. The factory hole is designed for a Toploader after all, and we're lucky enough to have the T5 shift tower to line up with the factory hole as well as it does. As for the new shifter, I went with a Summit Racing model that's basically a lower-end Steeda Tri-ax. The enlarged shift tower requires a fair bit of clearancing of the hole in order to fit. I had to remove roughly an inch of sheet metal to make it clear. Then, the Scott Drake shift boot wouldn't fit over the shift tower. Looks like I'll need to order up a '69-70 shift boot (which is longer) in order to get it to fit.

Hopefully, I'll be able to finish the transmission install tonight, and get to test out the shifter, along with the billet 3-4 shift keys! Sure, I won't have a shift boot, but since when was that a necessity to go for a spin?

Eventually, I'll get new carpet, and probably enlarge the hole for the shifter, but that's all in the future.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190331_155634.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	609003  

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul289 View Post
Not a question so much as a write-up.

I've just rebuilt my T5, and thought I'd install a short shifter while I've got it out. It's not possible to install a short shifter in a T5 equipped '65-66 Mustang with the transmission in the car. In addition, it's not possible to not cut anything to install it. Even with a factory T5 shifter, the shifter hole will require some clearancing. The factory hole is designed for a Toploader after all, and we're lucky enough to have the T5 shift tower to line up with the factory hole as well as it does. As for the new shifter, I went with a Summit Racing model that's basically a lower-end Steeda Tri-ax. The enlarged shift tower requires a fair bit of clearancing of the hole in order to fit. I had to remove roughly an inch of sheet metal to make it clear. Then, the Scott Drake shift boot wouldn't fit over the shift tower. Looks like I'll need to order up a '69-70 shift boot (which is longer) in order to get it to fit.

Hopefully, I'll be able to finish the transmission install tonight, and get to test out the shifter, along with the billet 3-4 shift keys! Sure, I won't have a shift boot, but since when was that a necessity to go for a spin?

Eventually, I'll get new carpet, and probably enlarge the hole for the shifter, but that's all in the future.
The toploader shifter bolted on close to the front of the tailhousing, as I recall. T-5 shift tower is farther back? So you enlarged the opening rearward?

How I wish the T-5 had been available when I got my '65 brand new with High Performance Option, August, 1964! $3150.
S/N 5F07K284486. I adapted a big B/W overdrive to the toploader by making an adaptor and slicing off the tl output shaft and welding it to the O/D input shaft. Ask for pics, if you like! imps

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019
Apprentice

Garage
I didn't have any trouble getting a T-5 in behind the I-6 in my '65, tho a previous owner "bubba modded" up the hole in the floor pretty good to get an automatic trans shifter installed. The stock '65 boot works good with a stock T-5 shifter. Yours is good info to know, as I wasn't aware there was some floor clearancing necessary for the swap.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imps View Post
The toploader shifter bolted on close to the front of the tailhousing, as I recall. T-5 shift tower is farther back? So you enlarged the opening rearward?

How I wish the T-5 had been available when I got my '65 brand new with High Performance Option, August, 1964! $3150.
S/N 5F07K284486. I adapted a big B/W overdrive to the toploader by making an adaptor and slicing off the tl output shaft and welding it to the O/D input shaft. Ask for pics, if you like! imps
Toploaders actually bolted on very near the end of the tailhousing. As you can see in the picture above, the T5 shifter is at the very front of the opening, and off to the side, as the Toploader shifter was on the side of the tailhousing. For the factory T5 shifter to fit required removing about a quarter inch of material from the front and passenger sides of the hole. I've considered moving the engine back, since I have an aftermarket suspension with a K-member that has 1" rearward mounting holes, but that will make removing bellhousing bolts more difficult, and I'll have to shorten the driveshaft as well. And modify the exhaust. But that's a project for another day.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page