Possible upgrades that I am pondering - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey View Post
Hi guys, as my project is on hold for a bit while I go through the process of buying a new house, I am pondering some future projects and upgrades.

One that comes to mind is that of the 4-Link rear suspension. I found a company that makes a full complete 4-link rear suspension with coil over shocks for a '68/'69 Fairlane/Torino. My questions are: What are the benefits of a 4-link rear suspension? As a boulevard cruiser sporting 370+ HP, will a 4-link benefit my application?

Other upgrades that I am playing with (sooner or later) include changing out the transmission from a C4 to a AOD tranny (yes, I know, I have a brand new C4, but at the time I got it, I expected my project to be completed sooner and the cost to convert to a AOD was too high at the time). The other upgrade is converting the car from a carb car to a FI car. Again, not sure on this old car that FI is necessarily a good thing. Any tips or advice on these three possible upgrades?
I have both AOD and EFI conversions on my TBird. Both are awesome upgrades.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
I have both AOD and EFI conversions on my TBird. Both are awesome upgrades.
I can see where the AOD conversion is a good thing. In hindsight, I wish I ponied up the extra dough to go that route with a transmission. As for the FI, I like the the idea of FI, but I have received enough responses on FI that it made me rethink whether it is really the right thing for me. So, as I said, the jury is still out on that upgrade.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey View Post
I can see where the AOD conversion is a good thing. In hindsight, I wish I ponied up the extra dough to go that route with a transmission. As for the FI, I like the the idea of FI, but I have received enough responses on FI that it made me rethink whether it is really the right thing for me. So, as I said, the jury is still out on that upgrade.
For me the best part is the complete lack of gas odor in my basement garage. Second is instant starts, no matter how long the car is stored. My build included:
  • New gas tank to install Tanks, Inc. pump module.
  • "Crash" switch to turn the pump off in that event.
  • Russel AN fittings and hoses (pump to 3/8" steel supply line, line to 10 micron canister filter (mounted inside the driver's front fender ahead of the tire), filter to throttle body rail, rail to pressure regulator (mounted on firewall), regulator to 1/4" steel return line, line to tank.
  • The gas tank is vented into a pint-size surge tank mounted high in the trunk and the surge vented through a long 1/2" poly hose to a late model carbon canister mounted in the drivers fender behind the tire. The canister is purged to the air cleaner.
  • O2 sensor screwed into a bung welded into the exhaust.
  • separate coolant temperature sensor mounted on the intake manifold.

The only "surprise" for me was that the manufacturer stated that I could use my original intake manifold. An EFI system need to have a single plane manifold. The only one available for my big block was an Edelbrock Victor, which was too tall to fit under the hood. I had to machine the top at an angle to make it fit.

I have an electronic screen mounted on my center console to set up and monitor the system. It gives me a tach, temperature readings, AF ratios, etc. Mine's a sleek unit subcontracted to Garmin by FAST.

The ECU is mounted under my dash and the blue "system normal" LED gives me a nice ambient light in the driver's foot well. It has functions to sense the AC compressor on (raise the idle speed by 50), charge the pump at key on, fire the injectors at key on when cold.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels

PONY Member

Keep in mind that what sounds like an upgrade is actually just different and often it's used because it's a lot cheaper to build than what was used of the classics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page