Ford Mustang Forum banner

1966 - Lower Shift Boot

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ivy66GT 
#1 ·
My '66 coupe has a T10 4-speed. I am rebuilding the shifter but notice that there is a lower shift boot as well as an upper shift boot in the various parts catalogues. Mine doesn't have the lower boot and I am not sure it ever had one. Is the lower boot recommended? Can anyone point me toward finding installation info?

THANKS in advance for sharing your wisdom.

#2 ·
The lower boot is there to keep most of the dirt and moisture away from the shifter parts. I put one in my '66 after the trans was installed and it was a pain. It is a fairly simple operation with the transmission out though as it fits under the shifter control box. The top lip of that boot fits on top of the floor hump and under the carpet.

#3 · (Edited)
I ran one on my '66 when I had the Toploader installed. It can be a bit of a pain, but I was also running a leather upper boot and the lower boot helped eliminate the fumes, heat and road noise. It also keeps the shifter as clean as the day it was installed.You can see the boot on the left in the attached picture taken when I sold the whole package.

Attachments

#4 ·
Our GT also has a T-10 but the lower boot goes on the shifter, not the transmission. There is one for 4-speeds and another for 3-speeds which have one less shift lever. Your car had one from the factory if it was a manual transmission.

Yes, its needed to protect the shfiter and keep the junk from splashing through the floorboard. Installaton is pretty simple; I have never seen or looked for any instructions. The top rubber lip sits on top of the floor metal as Bob mentioned and uses the same 4 bolts as the top-side boot as I recall.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.