Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Wgrumpy1967
  • 1 Post By Ivy66GT
  • 1 Post By Tony 64

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Wiring help

My daughter has a 1964 1/2 mustang that I'm doing a complete rewiring job on. I bought her the gearhead universal witing harness for it. I need a wiring schematic for this car for the light and ignition switches. Also, a wiring schematic for under the hood please. I have the easy part (the rear of the car) done. Lol

imps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I know nothing about a Gearhead harness but here are the drawings for the original harnesses which are readily available. Alloy Metal Products makes the best ones I have seen or used. They plug directly into the original ones with no modifications. If you use some other kind you will forever be on your own to figure out any problems.

1964 Mustang Wiring Diagrams - Average Joe Restoration

baylensmanfl likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

65 Shop Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgrumpy1967 View Post
My daughter has a 1964 1/2 mustang that I'm doing a complete rewiring job on. I bought her the gearhead universal witing harness for it. I need a wiring schematic for this car for the light and ignition switches. Also, a wiring schematic for under the hood please. I have the easy part (the rear of the car) done. Lol
I have the complete Ford 1965 Mustang Shop Manual. If you request it, I will retrieve it from my shop tomorrow, and see if it contains anything which might help you. I suspect it does.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

The 64 Comet and Falcon shop manual does not have any schematics on what you are after, nor does the 65 Comet, Falcon, Fairlane and Mustang shop manual.
They both just have basic fuse block diagrams.
The web has plenty of schematics online available, just make sure that you get the 64 schematics.

Me personally, I would not have purchased a wiring kit as such, then you would be on your own if there was an issue down the track.
I would rather replace one wire at a time.
imps likes this.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

The only Ford shop manual I have is the '66 one for Mustangs and other smaller Fords so I don't know exactly what the earlier ones include. But the '66 manual has fairly useful wiring diagrams in the back, Section 22. They are more generalized since nearly all models of Ford were wired similarly even using the same color wires and similar wiring plugs. The drawings at the Average Joe site are easier to use since they are ONLY for the Mustangs and have more details for some of the options. The 'pictorial' ones are especially helpful since they show how, and where the cables were routed thoughout the chassis. The '64 drawings do a much better job of showing how the fuses were wired. Fuse information is nearly omitted from the manuals in the later 60s.

There is no single drawing that provides all that the OP was requesting. Instead the drawings show ignition on one page, lighting on another with accessories on a 3rd page. The part that may confuse you at first is that several of those drawing pages may be referring to the same cable bundles and connectors. Only the wires used for ignition will be on the ignition page. Even though the same cable might have wires for lighting they will be shown on a different page. You learn to recognize the cable connectors by their shape to figure out how many drawings are showing wires from that same conenctor but on different pieces of paper.

The 15 drawings for '64 at the Average Joe site should have everything needed but it may take a little loking to find it all. You are likely to eventually need all 15 of those drawings so I would suggest downloading all of them so you have them on your own computer for later use. All 15 take up less than 4 MB of disk space which today is nearly nothing. Even if you don't now have a power convertible top you may have one some day and need that drawing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Even though I have the shop manuals, I printed the drawings of electrical schematics and keep them in my toolbox. They have been used quite a bit.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
I bought a universal harness for a '74 Fiat Spider restoration and it was a pain in the ass. I ended up partial disassembly to map out the circuits, mapped it out, compared it to the wiring that I intended to leave in place, modifying the universal to make it work then splicing it all together. Not difficult or mentally taxing but tedious.

I hate to tell you to take a step backwards and get a specific harness but it may save you a lot of time.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I have owned '71 Spider since new; everything I buy for that car is a similar hassle even from Fiat!! They changed the parts used on their cars about three times a year and no one knows which ones fit what cars.

Even the non AMP harness for Mustangs can be frustrating. I bought one for my alternator and it would simply not fit. Much like Yadkin, I had to untape it, sort out all the wires and tape it back together. The wires were the correct length but taped together incorrectly so some came out of the bundle in the wrong place. That was when I decided to only buy the AMP ones. But, like Tony, if its just a wire or two gone bad I repair the original ones instead.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post
I know nothing about a Gearhead harness but here are the drawings for the original harnesses which are readily available. Alloy Metal Products makes the best ones I have seen or used. They plug directly into the original ones with no modifications. If you use some other kind you will forever be on your own to figure out any problems.

1964 Mustang Wiring Diagrams - Average Joe Restoration
Yes on the ALLOY products Ken has done a stellar job for over 30 years making harnesses for older cars. I'd guess he has retired by now, but the original assembly boards and equipment are probably still being used by whoever has taken over from him.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post
I have owned '71 Spider since new; everything I buy for that car is a similar hassle even from Fiat!! They changed the parts used on their cars about three times a year and no one knows which ones fit what cars.
I'm not sure what year they added seat belt warning but about half the wiring in the interior is dedicated to it. I can remove it of course but the color scheme is very confusing.

The original fuse panel had 10 fuses and seems to have been designed at the first year of the series and then added on, added on. Mine was practically melted together.

None of the wiring groups through the dash are protected with friction tape and plastic sleeves like my Ford that is ten years older. Sheet metal tabs stamped out of the dash frame are simply bent over to hold wire groups, so that a sharp metal edge is directly against the wire insulation.

Add in some wood panels to mount the gauges and switches and I'm unsure how these cars didn't catch on fire as a matter of routine.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page