Carburetor Issue - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Travis98146

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Carburetor Issue

Hey! New here, noob question so go easy . I am working on a 69 mustang but dont know a lot about carburetors. I have asked other mustang people at shows and they don't know anything about this either. First, why is the one line cut, why would they do that (I bought it this way) ? Also, seems to be missing another. I have attached some pictures so maybe someone out there can help me out. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190712_132655_1562963975423.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	494.4 KB
ID:	610623  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Another picture

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Try this link to find your carburetor. It has diagrams of various carbs. and parts list. http://www.walkerproducts.com/wp-con...ford-motor.pdf

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
While it's easy to see that you've got some rotty old hose there in a bowl, it's a bit hard to guess what it was hooked to on the carb! It could even be old fuel line. It looks as if it has had clamps on it of some kind, so that would follow. Vacuum lines don't get clamped. Best guess is that it was replaced sometime, and that's just the old one.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019
PONY Member

Garage
The line you have your finger under is the heat tube for the automatic choke. It should go into a tube that goes through the exhaust manifold. If that tube isn't there anymore, it can be purchased and replaced or you can wrap that tube around the exhaust manifold to supply heat to the temp coil in the choke unit. Your fuel comes into the front of the carb via the screwed in filter.
Ivy66GT, Joes72/65 and Grimbrand like this.

Last edited by Travis98146; 07-12-2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: additional info
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Your second photo never made it here.

That heat riser tube you have your finger on looks like its made of copper? I think all the originals were steel. Why was it 'cut'? Hard to say. The old one may have rotted away and the PO didn't know where it should connect? Without it drawing hot air from the exhaust manifold your choke won't work correctly which is more of a problem in cold weather but still a smaller problem year round. Without a properly working choke it will be hard to start the engine or drive the car when the engine is cold.

All of the kits I have seen to replace those lines are made for the V8 engines. I don't know if you can buy one for a 6. That may be why the pictured one is copper? A shop manual for your car should tell you where that line was connected and what its supposed to be doing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post
Your second photo never made it here.

That heat riser tube you have your finger on looks like its made of copper? I think all the originals were steel. Why was it 'cut'? Hard to say. The old one may have rotted away and the PO didn't know where it should connect? Without it drawing hot air from the exhaust manifold your choke won't work correctly which is more of a problem in cold weather but still a smaller problem year round. Without a properly working choke it will be hard to start the engine or drive the car when the engine is cold.

All of the kits I have seen to replace those lines are made for the V8 engines. I don't know if you can buy one for a 6. That may be why the pictured one is copper? A shop manual for your car should tell you where that line was connected and what its supposed to be doing.
It looks copper to me. I've made heat risers before out of the stuff. Since t's relatively soft, easy to loop down from the carb around a section of exhaust manifold and then back up again. It works just as well as the factory set up.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabithasMustang View Post
Hey! New here, noob question so go easy . I am working on a 69 mustang but dont know a lot about carburetors. I have asked other mustang people at shows and they don't know anything about this either. First, why is the one line cut, why would they do that (I bought it this way) ? Also, seems to be missing another. I have attached some pictures so maybe someone out there can help me out. Thanks.
That's a heat riser, which takes a small amount of filtered air from the carburetor, down to a small chamber on the side of the exhaust manifold and then back up into the choke mechanism. The idea is to get the choke hot quickly so it's fully open and not wasting gas. Yours is home made and doesn't look like it's going to operate well. Best to replace with a modern electric choke and be done with it.

Interesting that other "Mustang people" don't know anything about carburetors. It has become a lost art. However it is not difficult to learn and fix yourself. Back in the day I used to rebuild the two-barrel carburetor in my car every third oil change and I got so good at it that it would only take me 20 minutes. Yours is a one barrel and is therefore that much easier.

Buy a decent set of wrenches and don't scrimp on quality screwdrivers. Walmart sells a gallon paint pail of carburetor cleaner that You can soak parts in and clean. Look up Mikes Carburetors on the internet and order a rebuild kit. The kit will have instructions and that's all you really need to disassemble, clean, adjust and put it all back together.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page