LizardSkin, Carpet Underlayment, and ACC Mass Backed Carpet - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Charles Reeves
  • 1 Post By dgc333
  • 1 Post By Grimbrand
  • 1 Post By mcc351

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

LizardSkin, Carpet Underlayment, and ACC Mass Backed Carpet

I might be over doing it and if I am please let me know, but I want to be sure I do this right the first time.

I recently sprayed LizarsSkin sound control and ceramic coating in my Coupe. I am getting ready to install the new ACC mass backed carpet, but I also purchased a Carpet Underlayment Kit (https://www.cjponyparts.com/carpet-u...5-1973/p/ULK3/) from CJPP. Now that its time to do the install I'm wondering if the underlayment is needed. To be honest I didn't know that it was going to be asphalt based and I don't want it to ruin the LizardSkin.

Should I install the underlayment? I will install the underlayment if it will help the LizardSkin with the temperature control and noise reduction but will it damage the LizardSkin? If I do install the underlayment do I need to use an adhesive to get it to stick?

I have attached a few pictures so you can see what I'm working with.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice on the best install methods.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang LizardSkin#1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1,000.8 KB
ID:	610829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang LizardSkin#2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1,020.0 KB
ID:	610831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang - Carpet Underlayment#1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	610833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang - Carpet Underlayment#2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	610835  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019
PONY Member

Garage
I don't think the underlayment will have any effect on your Lizardskin. I did install the kit on my '66 but just over a rust killer, primer and paint. No adhesive needed.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019
PONY Member

Underlayment is definitely needed, the lizard skin is not however. I have had customers ask that I remove it from their cars that a previous owner put in it, removing it is a pain and leaving it in isn't a good option, it buggers up the clips for the fuel line and brake line and makes repairs to either of those a real PITA. It also impedes the replacement of many other parts like the e-brake cable, speedo cable and others.
I'd skip the lizard skin and go with a good paint , underlayment, waterproof insulation layer with a Mylar layer and then the carpet.
You'll be a lot happier in the long run and it's all reversible without a lot of hassle. Lizard skin is not. There is a reason Ford did not plaster the inside floor with a lot of undercoating gunk.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Since, he already has the lizard skin sprayed, are there any options for him in regards to a underlayment that will work? Looks like a monster job to remove it.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
Underlayment is definitely needed, the lizard skin is not however. I have had customers ask that I remove it from their cars that a previous owner put in it, removing it is a pain and leaving it in isn't a good option, it buggers up the clips for the fuel line and brake line and makes repairs to either of those a real PITA. It also impedes the replacement of many other parts like the e-brake cable, speedo cable and others...
I don't understand. All the items you list are on the underside of the car (at least they are on my '66). How can a coating on the inside of the car affect attachment of these things? If it does, why is it worse than paint? I might be able to understand if these thing were bolted on with nuts inside the car, but all I've ever seen used are self-tapping screws.
dgc333 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019
PONY Member

Unless you are doing a concourse restoration Lizard Skin is a good choice on the bottom of the car, much more effective and durable than the tar crap they put on at the factory.

On the inside under the carpet there is no down side. It will just add another layer of sound deadening and heat insulation under the carpet and underlayment.

Dave
Grimbrand likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
The asphalt stuff you bought is a very poor imitation of the sound deadener found in Cougars. Even if used 'properly' it would have very little benefit. Your lizardskin should do a better job. Its purpose (and that of the asphalt stuff) is to damp panel vibration, turning vibratory energy into heat. Instead of being able to resonate like a gong, the panels will make a dull 'thud' and act as a sound barrier to lots of noise.

Your carpet's mass backing is another form of sound deadening, as well as heat insulation. It isn't super at preventing resonance, but it is a very effective barrier to most sound. Between your carpet, and the lizardskin, you should be pretty good. Hopefully, the mass backing of your carpet protects your lizardskin enough to prevent it from flaking off!
Beechkid likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019
PONY Member

See how the expansion clips go through the floor and open up on the inside of the car? Coat them with a bunch of non stock crud and they are basically destroyed.
Lizard skin is useful inside the doors and inside the quarter panels, but I would keep it off of any other surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reeves View Post
I don't understand. All the items you list are on the underside of the car (at least they are on my '66). How can a coating on the inside of the car affect attachment of these things? If it does, why is it worse than paint? I might be able to understand if these thing were bolted on with nuts inside the car, but all I've ever seen used are self-tapping screws.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019
GT Member

Obviously I was not aware of how the original Ford fuel line clips work. On that note, I'm planning on converting to EFI one of these days. I plan to use the existing fuel line as the return line and run a new copper-nickel fuel line alongside the existing one. I'm going to use rubberized "P" clamps and short sheet metal screws to hold them down, just like I did for the custom brake line I made.
Apprentice

I’m going through a similar job myself. I just installed Dynamat extreme....and now fitting new mass backed carpet. The previous owner had recently installed carpet and underlayment. My dilemma was whether or not to re-use the underlayment. It was in good condition but I already upgraded with the Dynamat and mass backed carpet. I fitted the carpet with and without the underlayment. I decided to keep the underlayment in. I felt that the carpet fit better with the underlayment in. Plus it was in good shape and I hated to toss it. The mass backing and Dynamat do not add much in terms of depth/ thickness. I feel that the underlayment is needed. I suspect the lizard skin is also fairly thin... and hey, if you already bought the underlayment than use it. I would recommend confirming with lizard skin on compatibility of their product with underlayment. They should know because this would seem like a pretty common material to touch their product. Let us know what they say, what you decide and how it worked out.
MIDLOTHIAN likes this.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc351 View Post
Im going through a similar job myself. I just installed Dynamat extreme....and now fitting new mass backed carpet. The previous owner had recently installed carpet and underlayment. My dilemma was whether or not to re-use the underlayment. It was in good condition but I already upgraded with the Dynamat and mass backed carpet. I fitted the carpet with and without the underlayment. I decided to keep the underlayment in. I felt that the carpet fit better with the underlayment in. Plus it was in good shape and I hated to toss it. The mass backing and Dynamat do not add much in terms of depth/ thickness. I feel that the underlayment is needed. I suspect the lizard skin is also fairly thin... and hey, if you already bought the underlayment than use it. I would recommend confirming with lizard skin on compatibility of their product with underlayment. They should know because this would seem like a pretty common material to touch their product. Let us know what they say, what you decide and how it worked out.
Yep, I used Dynamat extreme over the entire cabin, trunk, and doors. It's cooler, and quieter in the car now. The transmission hump used to get pretty warm, now its a different story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page