• 1 Post By jondoerr68
  • 1 Post By Grimbrand
  • 1 Post By Yadkin
  • 1 Post By baylensmanfl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Transmission swap

I currently have a 3 speed manual 68 fastback and I would like to convert it. I know most of you are going to say why why why would you do that but it is just very uncomfortable for me to drive. I’m on the shorter side and for me to drive it my gut almost has to be hitting the steering wheel for me to get the clutch down to the floor. It makes me not want to drive it as much as I would like to. That all being said do you have any recommendations on a transmission to drop in it? Has anyone ever done one? I have an auto in my 66 that I could pull out and rebuild and put in the 68 so I guess that’s one option. Just looking for some ideas or guidance. Thanks

imps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019
PONY Member

Garage
You have to consider the necessity of changing your shift lever and pedal assembly (along with the corresponding linkages). If both engines are the same, you might not have issues with the bell housing bolts matching. If you have a center console, you add another variable. It's do-able but not an easy/quick swap.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
PONY Member

I feel the same way. My wife's Alfa Romeo has a manual tranny and it's kind of fun for the first 15 minutes and then becomes a PITA to drive. I much prefer a fast shifting solid automatic any day of the week. It will be a very rewarding project for you to complete and a major upgrade.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
The C4 is a great lightweight transmission that can handle plenty of power, and shifts great. It'd be an excellent choice if your rear gears are 2.80-3.25 or so. If you already have steep rear gears, you might think about trading up to a heavier 4 speed overdrive transmission like the 4R70W.
Beechkid likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoerr68 View Post
I currently have a 3 speed manual 68 fastback and I would like to convert it. I know most of you are going to say why why why would you do that but it is just very uncomfortable for me to drive. Iím on the shorter side and for me to drive it my gut almost has to be hitting the steering wheel for me to get the clutch down to the floor. It makes me not want to drive it as much as I would like to. That all being said do you have any recommendations on a transmission to drop in it? Has anyone ever done one? I have an auto in my 66 that I could pull out and rebuild and put in the 68 so I guess thatís one option. Just looking for some ideas or guidance. Thanks
A few thoughts from my distant memories: The rear crossmember changed after 66, so 67-68 would have a different style. Whether the mount bolts location remained the same, is unknown. You need to measure the distance from the engine rear surface where the bellhousing bolts up to the bolts in the rear crossmember where the mount sits. If the same, hell's bell's! If not, fabrication in order. Both slip yokes on driveshafts should be alike, but tailshaft lengths between manual and auto may be different. Furthermore, depending on engines here, the pinion distance for u-joint purposes is different between 8-inch and 9-inch rear axles. If the '68 has the 9-inch, driveshaft length may become another headache. This all depends on how much time is available to do the job (can the car be laid-up awhile?), and the resources available to you. Good luck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
The conversion probably doesn't make sense from a value standpoint but I'm sure that you already know that. If it were me I'd probably change out the clutch pedal pad for a thicker rubber block.

But, if you are going to convert it to an automatic then I'd recommend obtaining an AOD and having it rebuilt with a high horsepower package.
imps likes this.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019
PONY Member

Pedal and pedal support to automatic style available repro. add and external cooler or swap the radiator for and automatic with builtin cooler both available aftermarket. You'll need a torque convert and flex plate again both available. Drive shaft may change a bit maybe just front yoke. The cross member will work fine it didn't change until later 69 and big block cars. New speedometer cable. Not a very hard conversion if you have everything lined up.

Have you thought of going with a center force or dual plate clutch or even a hydraulic throwout bearing conversion, any of those will reduce the foot pressure required to shift. I always like the first gear int he 67 and 68 with that low 3.03 gear.
imps likes this.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylensmanfl View Post
Pedal and pedal support to automatic style available repro. add and external cooler or swap the radiator for and automatic with builtin cooler both available aftermarket. You'll need a torque convert and flex plate again both available. Drive shaft may change a bit maybe just front yoke. The cross member will work fine it didn't change until later 69 and big block cars. New speedometer cable. Not a very hard conversion if you have everything lined up.

Have you thought of going with a center force or dual plate clutch or even a hydraulic throwout bearing conversion, any of those will reduce the foot pressure required to shift. I always like the first gear int he 67 and 68 with that low 3.03 gear.
T-5 would be a good manual choice; has 2.95 1st., plus O/D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page