Brake conversion: (single to dual) - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GT'sGT
  • 2 Post By paul289

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Red face Brake conversion: (single to dual)

I have a 1966 mustang with power drum brakes. For safety reasons I want to install a dual master cylinder on it. Can some one give me a part number of a master cylinder that will bolt up to my present power brake booster. (If not a part number the make, model and year of the master cylinder you used. I would apricate any help someone can give me. Thank you and have a nice day. Beachamp1. I have an automatic transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
Apprentice

Just go to CJ Pony or Dallas Mustang, or one of the other parts houses. They'll give you exactly what you need.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
GT Member

There is a chance that you will need to adjust the rod length of the booster; I would certainly want to check it before bolting on the new m/c. A tool like the one at the link below can help. I have used a similar one; there are cheaper ones on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/power-brake...sAAOSwAnlbmTeX

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
GT Member

There is a chance that you might have to adjust the length of the booster rod. I would certainly want to check it before bolting on the new m/c. The one at the link below can help. I have used a similar tool; there are cheaper ones on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/power-brake...sAAOSwAnlbmTeX
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
PONY Member
Classic Member

Here is a you-tube vid that shows you how to adjust the Push rod in the Master cylinder when you change the master cylinder.

Joe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachamp1 View Post
I have a 1966 mustang with power drum brakes. For safety reasons I want to install a dual master cylinder on it. Can some one give me a part number of a master cylinder that will bolt up to my present power brake booster. (If not a part number the make, model and year of the master cylinder you used. I would apricate any help someone can give me. Thank you and have a nice day. Beachamp1. I have an automatic transmission.
The best option IMHO....is to go with a 1974 Maverick....ask for V8, Power Drum...it will be an exact match and operate perfectly.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks for the input, I will try a 1976 Maverick power brake master cylinder on my booster and see how it works out. Beechkid: thanks for that information. Bob
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019
PONY Member

I'd go with eliminating the power boost drum and use dual bowl manual set up for better feedback response from the pedal. It's an upgrade a lot of folks do and is pretty simple.
MIDLOTHIAN likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

I bolted up a '95 Cobra master cylinder. It's got the same bolt pattern and bore size as the '65 with disc brakes, but it's aluminum with a plastic reservoir. And it uses metric tube nuts instead of standard.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul289 View Post
I bolted up a '95 Cobra master cylinder. It's got the same bolt pattern and bore size as the '65 with disc brakes, but it's aluminum with a plastic reservoir. And it uses metric tube nuts instead of standard.
METRIC !!!!??? In a classic Mustang ??! ! Oh the humanity.....
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDLOTHIAN View Post
METRIC !!!!??? In a classic Mustang ??! ! Oh the humanity.....
[quietly hides T5 behind a curtain]
johnwaz3661 and MIDLOTHIAN like this.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page