65 inline 6 <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> problem - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019 Thread Starter
Bui
Apprentice

65 inline 6 trans problem

Hi Folks. My 65 inline 6 have a problem with auto <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym>, when i try to do fast accelerated the gear not engage, but if i start at the lower gear and continue to shift up then it run fine but when i slow down and stop seem liked the transmission doesn't shift back to the first gear, fluid level is good . any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
With the '65, your transmission has a small dot, then a big dot, then L. Unlike later transmissions, to work properly, your car needs to be in the "big (green) dot" position. Small dot will start in 2nd gear, and shift to 3rd normally. It is useful for snow and ice, but not for normal driving. The big green dot position starts in 1st, and shifts automatically between gears, all the way to 3rd. L keeps your car in 1st gear.

Hopefully, the "problem" is just that you're trying to use the slot just below N (little dot), and that's making your shifting seem odd!

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019
PONY Member

The Ford-O-Matic was a cumbersome, frustrating piece of technology. It started in second gear when placed in “Drive” and then shifted to third. Drivers had to manually shift into low at the “L” position and use it as a first gear. Drivers had a tendency to forget to manually shift out of low to Drive, often putting a strain on the transmission and shortening its life. The Cruise-O-Matic arrived in 1958 and solved that problem. The Cruise-O-Matic featured a sprag, which offered another “D” or Drive position and marked with a green dot. The new automatic still featured a Low position, but the sprag allowed the transmission to shift automatically from low to second to third. This green dot gear pattern remained until 1967, when Ford replaced it with the now-common 1-2-D pattern for three-speeds.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019 Thread Starter
Bui
Apprentice

65 inline 6

Hi. when i drive slow and come to stop seem liked the transmission doesn't shift back to the first gear. that why every time i stop the car i had to shift to lower gear to start to go again.
Thank s
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Bui, what position is the shifter in, while you're driving? P R N o O L ? It should be in the "O" position. If you're driving in the "o", that's your problem.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019 Thread Starter
Bui
Apprentice

65 inline 6

Thank you all. I will try it this weekend and report back to you.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Bui
Apprentice

Unhappy 65 inline 6

Hi. i did try and start at big O but it still acting the same. When i drive slow and come to stop seem liked the transmission doesn't shift back to the first gear. that why every time i stop the car i had to shifted to lower gear to start to go again.
Thank s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page