66 Seat Platform Replacement - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GT'sGT
  • 1 Post By baylensmanfl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

66 Seat Platform Replacement

I'm in the process of restoring a 66 Mustang GT and after replacing the floors, I'm ready for the seat platforms. Dynacorn has individual seat platforms or a one piece platform that goes over the transmission hump. I don't see any advantage or disadvantage to using the one piece.

Does anyone have experience with these platforms?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019
PONY Member

I used the individual platforms that are the same as OEM. My preference is always to use what came from the factory because I like my restorations to be like a time machine, as if you just bought a brand new Mustang from a dealership in 1966 (or 65).
I also think if you are wanting to fit a console in (now or in the future) it will work better with the stock set up.

Beechkid likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019
PONY Member

The individual platforms are correct for coupes and fastback. the one piece platform is part of the more rigid convertible structure. using the convertible or one pieces on the coupe will get the car a little stiffer but will lead to carpet and console fitment issues.
Beechkid likes this.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I had never thought about it much but that is the reason you need to cut a convertible console differently than others. The attached photo shows a factory set of seat platforms for a '66 convertible. (The under-carpet padding is not factory but a repro from somewhere.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet pads front.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	611143  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated. The pic of the convertible seat platform really shows the difference, thanks for that Ivy66GT. Mine is a coupe so I will order the individual platforms.

Thanks again for your help!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I posted the photo below to another thread today but I will add it here since it compliments the above photo of the seat platforms. I mentioned above that the under-carpet pad pictured there is a repro. The photo below shows what it was like originally; not much of any similarity except sort-of the same shape? To get a better carpet fit the original, brown pad is now underneath the whitish fiber ones shown in the first picture.

Both photos are of the same San Jose convertible; the rear end of the one piece seat platform should be recognizable at the bottom of the second photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear floor padding_original.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	611159  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page