acceleration problem - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By baylensmanfl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

acceleration problem

car idles good but when you step on the gas pedal, the car is very jerky and wants to die. I replaced the fuel pump with a Carter and it stills does it. Has a reproduction coil and starter solenoid. The mustang starts up fine and has a 1/2 tank of fuel. The mustang is a 1964 1/2, 289 with a 4 speed. The car was running good one day and then the next day, boom. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64must View Post
car idles good but when you step on the gas pedal, the car is very jerky and wants to die. I replaced the fuel pump with a Carter and it stills does it. Has a reproduction coil and starter solenoid. The mustang starts up fine and has a 1/2 tank of fuel. The mustang is a 1964 1/2, 289 with a 4 speed. The car was running good one day and then the next day, boom. Any ideas?
Carburetor acceleration pump. When gas pedal is suddenly depressed, a big gulp of air tends to slow or stall the engine. This is prevented by a pump attached to the carburetor throttle linkage which, when the throttle is opened, squirts a small amount of fuel into the airstream entering the carb's secondary venturis.

You can check this yourself. Remove the air cleaner so you can look down into the carburetor, engine NOT running. Use a flashlight if needed. Move throttle linkage by hand: a squirt of gas should be seen going right into the carb. If it's not there, replace the pump, which is actually a small rubber diaphragm attached under a cover plate on the lower front part of the carb, which must be removed to access the pump.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member

I would be checking or replacing the fuel filter, it could be that simple.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Yep, I'd look at the filter first too, then the carb and look for vacuum leaks (or listen for them) and if you still don't see a cause, look at the filter on the pick up in the tank, they can decompose over time and if it's the original there's a good chance it's shot.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

If its jerking, bucking and almost wanting to stall i'd check vacuum first and throughly. Luckily on a 4 speed car there aren't a lot of vacuum points to check. Get a can of staring fluid and the straw from a can of WD 40, with he engine tuning spray each vacuum point and the elngthof each vacuum hose slowly. If you find a point were the engine suddenly revs up there the leak.

Poor throttle response or a bog and delay before acceleration is more indicative of an accelerator pump diaphragm or poor fuel flow
paul289 likes this.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Rebuild the carburetor. If it's a 4bbl make sure you have the parts for the vacuum secondaries.

If you have never done one then it can be a daunting task, but it shouldn't be. Back in the day I could do a 2 barrel in 20 minutes. Walmart sells a gallon of cleaner to soak parts in- looks like a paint can. Take a picture at every step, look at the diagram in the rebuild kit and make sure that you put the check ball(s) in the right hole(s). Make all the adjustments while reassembling and then the final adjustments on the car.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

When was the last time it was tuned up?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

It was tuned up this year.

64must16
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Would using ethanol gas over a period of time do this?

64must16
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Yes. Many of the alloys used in old carburetors dissolve in ethanol. This ends up with white deposits that can clog the tiny passages.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
I would say its highly unlikely. I have been using ethanol fuel in our 2 Mustangs since I bought them c1980 because it was, still is, required for us who live at high altitudes. I have seen no indication of anything unusual, no damage, nothing. I have never had an internal passage clogged just the normal, brown 'dirt' from fuel evaporating from the exposed surfaces in, and around the carb barrels. Open your carb and look in. If you see any corrosion I will be greatly surprised. Mine looks like the attached photo which was taken 12 hours after shutdown. I haven't touched the insides of that carb in 10 years and I drive it regularly. Just after that photo was taken we drove it 3,500 miles round-trip from NM to VA.

I do know of lousy carb alloys that dissolve over time. Ford didn't use any of them for the many Fords I have owned.

The photo does show you why you can have hard starting problems after your engine has been hot. About half of the gas is gone from the float bowl by the time the engine cools off. That will happen with any gasoline whether or not it has ethanol. Without an electric fuel pump that means you may have to crank the starter a few seconds longer to re-fill the carb bowl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel after 12 hrs.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	611189  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Quote:
It was tuned up this year.
Go over your tune and see if anything changed. Operate the throttle with the engine off and see if you have 2 solid streams of fuel spraying from when its first moved to wide open.
Quote:
Absolutely not, unless your running old rubber lines that are susceptible to degradation from ethanol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page