crack in yellow top coil - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

crack in yellow top coil

I have a yellow top coil I got from the salvage yard today. When I cleaned it up, I saw a crack in the yellow part of the coil about 1" long. Can it be repaired? It's a FoMoco coil & I would like to use it in my 1964 !/2 mustang.
Thank you, Brent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GT Member

Unless you live in an area where new ones are hard to get and/or expensive, I'd just get a new one. They are only $30-$40 in the U.S. Given that you don't know the history of it, I wouldn't take a chance on it in my car.

That said, I think the coil innards are filled with resin, so it's possible things may be OK even if water has gotten inside. And the crack could probably be easily filled.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

The factory yellow-top coils were filled with oil to help cool the windings and a cracked top might cause them to leak. The repro yellow-tops are epoxy filled and can't leak.

If it works OK, doesn't leak and you don't mind seeing the crack then you should be OK. Otherwise, you might want a new coil which are $30. I bought one and tore it apart to see what was inside. I never actually used it on a car but it looked and measured as expected. I use the factory orignals that came from Ford but was scoping out a replacement in case I ever need one.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.co...OIL-P1184.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page