• 1 Post By 07redstang
  • 2 Post By GT'sGT
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 1 Post By bkmdano

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

'66 GT sags to the left...

New member and first time post. I just purchased a 1966 Mustang GT convertible (my first car was a used '66 GT when I was a senior in high school). I noticed that, when viewed from the rear, the car sags to the left. I measured the distance from the ground to the body (just in front of the rear wheel) and its a 1 inch difference. Not being a mechanic (other than the easy tune up type of stuff), I was wondering if this might be a leaf spring issue, a shock issue, or ???. I will likely take it in, but wanted to be semi informed before doing so....Thanks!

Last edited by bkmdano; 09-04-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: add Bold font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019
BOSS Member

Most likely both...………… but IMHO, find a good spring/suspension shop and have them re-arc the rear springs (hot- not cold) and they will be like new and stay that way for another 20 years...the fronts, just plan on replacing. If you have 1 or more springs that are "tired', chances are they are all about to go.....

bkmdano likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019
PONY Member

X2 on getting the rear springs re-arched. Tell them the stance you want and they will make it happen.
Beechkid and bkmdano like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Be aware that a front spring can have the same affect causing the whole side of the car to lean one way or the other. Its a lot easier, and cheaper, to replace the front springs so you might want to investigate those first before moving to the rear.

The body, even a convertible, should not flex by very much so if the left front corner doesn't have enough spring force to keep it level with the right front then the left rear corner will also be low. If the body is in bad enough shape that it CAN flex front to rear you have other more important problems to consider.

Unless your shocks have helper springs on then they will not affect how the car sits. Shocks only affect how the car moves up and down on the suspension. They do not provide any spring force to hold the car up. Even gas pressurized shocks only provide a few pounts of spring force which won't be enough to affect how the car sits on its springs.

You should be aware that a GT used different coil springs than the others. They were cut shorter which also makes the spring stiffer. For that reason a GT should sit about 1/2" lower. Ford had 6 different sets of coil springs for a '66 Mustang and no one today sells correct replacements. I started a thread here at AFM years about the springs but I never finished the project so have not posted any final solution. Read the thread, your car's spring situation sounds much like mine. Our GT now sits on a set of 8326 cut to almost the correct length but life got in the way and I haven't touched those springs to finish the project in nearly 3 years.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...gs-8326-a.html
bkmdano likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019
PONY Member

Shocks just dampen movement, springs support the cars weight, so if it's leaning, it's the springs not the shocks.
New springs are easy to get and replace and you can get the type you want. Re-arcing old ones isn't a good idea as the spacers are rotted away by now and the rust has taken a toll on integrity and the clamps are going to be suspect too.
A complete rebuild will fix some but not all of those issues and the cost will be about as much as a new set. Don't forget the bushings and u bolts while you're there.
bkmdano likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
Re-arcing old ones isn't a good idea as the spacers are rotted away by now and the rust has taken a toll on integrity and the clamps are going to be suspect too.
When a shop re-arcs the springs they always (should) replace the clamps, etc. Mine were done by the infamous Hollywood Spring & Axle (Marv himself did mine)….after 6 months they settled to exactly what he said and have remained at the same ride height since 1986...….. the costs...… $80 for the pair (and I did the install myself )
bkmdano likes this.

Flatheads ain't so bad!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019
PONY Member

Its common practice to replace the clamps, isolators, and bushings. I usually take the whole car to the spring shop.
bkmdano likes this.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
When a shop re-arcs the springs they always (should) replace the clamps, etc. Mine were done by the infamous Hollywood Spring & Axle (Marv himself did mine)….after 6 months they settled to exactly what he said and have remained at the same ride height since 1986...….. the costs...… $80 for the pair (and I did the install myself )
Of course, as I said some of those things can be addressed in the rearcing process, but the steel that has turned to rust can never be turned back into steel again. I found a pair of OEM springs for 97.14 online in a minute of searching. To me it's worth the 17 bucks to have brand new that have never had any of the surface removed from rusting. Just how I feel about it personally.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/leaf-...s/ford/mustang
Beechkid and bkmdano like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
Of course, as I said some of those things can be addressed in the rearcing process, but the steel that has turned to rust can never be turned back into steel again. I found a pair of OEM springs for 97.14 online in a minute of searching. To me it's worth the 17 bucks to have brand new that have never had any of the surface removed from rusting. Just how I feel about it personally.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/leaf-...s/ford/mustang

If the springs are that bad, ok course!!!! but the spring shop really has to know where the new springs are mfg at...… IMHO avoid the imported staff!
bkmdano likes this.

Flatheads ain't so bad!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice. I definitely feel better about the next step, which is to find a 'spring shop' to take a look at things.
Beechkid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page