Ford Mustang Forum banner

air shocks

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  mustangmarty2 
#1 ·
I want to raise the rear of my 66 fastback maybe 2 inches . Springs are good the car is level . Would rear air shocks give too hard of a ride ? Also heard they could damage the frame rail ? I would hope to not come close to max air pressure when pumping them up .

#2 ·
Not a "good thing" as Martha would say...…. the air shocks transfer the weight of the body onto the shocks instead of the springs.....in short....it tears the mounts for the rear shocks (upper portion) apart, damaging critical components of the vehicles chassis/unibody... the best a reasonable way is to have your rear springs re-arc'd (hot not cold process) by a rear spring shop...there are actually a combination of things that can be done but best explained face to face......

#7 ·
You need to have the existing rear leaf springs re-arched or replaced. I replaced mine as they are notorious for sagging in these cars after so many years. I replaced mine with the stock replacements.

#12 ·
I agree with everything but the 'looks good' part, I think it looks silly on these cars, the original stance was front higher than rear and it looks aggressive on these classics. Makes the car look like it's accelerating even when standing still, lowered front looks like it's always braking hard.

#13 ·
Jacking up the rear was a 70s thing. I thought it looked dumb then but there were a lot of them driving around. The usual way was to replace the rear shackle of the leaf springs with a couple of longish, steel plates. It depends upon what 'era' you are trying to recreate. Mine have always been factory stock.

#14 ·
There is a guy around here who has what I believe is a 1970 Cuda. He has the rear jacked up just as Ivy described. 383 factory car very aggressive look with the rear up and I like it alot but is a MOPAR. I wouldn't do it to my 65 coupe nor my 70 fastback.. check out this old road test video, one of my faves on youtube and look at the stance of the shelby, its nose up is a beautiful thing. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEL2OQkvOY

J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.