Fuel supply issues in a '73 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Fuel supply issues in a '73

Hello - Hoping to get some ideas...

I'm trying to get my '73 Mustang going again. It hasn't been run for 5 years. The engine wants to run because I can get it to fire up with starting fluid. But the gas line is dry. The filter is glass case and you can see that it is totally dry. This after several minutes of cranking. There are at least 2 gallons of fuel in the tank.

My plan is to start at the tank sending unit and see what the fuel looks like as it flows out. That is, is it badly rusty? Then disconnect the line at the fuel pump inlet and see if it flows there. If those two point are good and yet the pump outlet doesn't flow, then pump is bad.

Any further ideas? Am I missing something? A simpler explanation of what might be going on?

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I think you are on the right track. See what flow you can get from the fuel lines under gravity flow and see the condition of the fuel coming out if the lines are not obstructed. And then work from there to the fuel pump and filter.

There are a lot of good vendors for classic Mustang parts at decent prices so you will not have any problem getting replacement parts from a gas tank to a carb.

IM not a classic guy but we have a good group of members that know them inside and out that you can bounce stuff off of and get some help.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
If that gas is five years old then do not try and start the car. Ethanol in gas turns to varnish and will coat the valve stems and seize them. Take the tank out of the car and if there is any question of rust just buy a new one (They are cheap for classic Mustangs). You will likely need a new sending unit. Get a new fuel pump (buy a good brand from Summit, not an Airtech as they are garbage). Fill up the lines as best you can with brake-clean and then use compressed air to blow them out. Use all new rubber hose and get a metal fuel filter.

Pictures below:
1. fuel sender after sitting in tank for several years and old gas.
2. bent push rods after running on old gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	737.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	611435   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080293.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	611437  

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019
PONY Member

Get a good source of clean fuel and plumb it directs to the fuel pump. If the car starts great. after that as above don't trust old gas. Drain and rinse the tank some fresh fuel and perhaps new lines should cost you less than $100.00 overall. more if the tank is shot.

Good luck

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019
GT Member

Once you get it running, if you don't plan on driving it much, I'd find a source for gas w/o ethanol, for the reasons cited. It won't be cheap (I paid $3 a gallon for regular), but worth it in the long run.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the tips gents. I will dump the old gas for sure. Clean and flush the line as suggested and also replace the rubber portions of the line. Rest - based on the look of the old fuel, could replace the sending unit and possibly even the tank.
Onwards...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Update and a question:

Ended up replacing the fuel tank, the fuel pump, sending unit, rubber portions of the fuel line and filter. Also cleaned out thoroughly the metal fuel lines. (Problem was old gas that was left in the car for 4 years).

The car cannot start still and I'm pretty sure the carb is badly gummed up internally. (Fuel bowls are filled manually and still it only starts with gas directly poured into the intake, then dies).

I either have to take off the carb and disassemble and clean it out thoroughly in a bucket, or replace it. It's an old Holley that was on the list to be changed anyway, so I'm OK with replacing it at this point.

Question: What's your opinion on best Holley match for this engine?
1973 351 Cleveland, 4-barrel.
Original Ford 4-barrel intake and heads.
The cam is slightly aggressive. Was chosen to help with the engine's low-RPM velocity.

Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Just rebuild the old carb. Simple.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page