Ford Mustang Forum banner

1968 mustang won't start

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  glnn 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago, I was able to drive my 68 mustang for as long as i wanted, parked somewhere came back, fired right up.

Then after some time, the car would fire right up, works fine, but then if I turned it off, it would not start back up easily, I would have to crank a few times and it would start up again.

After some more time, the car could stay on as long as i kept it on, but once I turned it off, it would not turn back on unless I waited 6+ hours or i'd just try the next day and it would fire right up.

Recently, it turned on, but after 15-20 minutes, it would die, Can't get it to turn on unless i try the next day.

Now, car doesn't turn on at all, just cranks.

Any idea what is going on here? How should I begin to troubleshoot? Any guides out there would help too.

See less See more
#4 ·
I forgot to mention, when i noticed this issue was happening, there's a small coolant leak coming from the timing cover seal

Are you sure is not the water pump seal? If it's in fact the timing chain cover seal then I doubt your engine be running at all. If there is a leak there expect it to be oil and just oil. Your cranking issue sounds to me like a heat soaked carb but then it could be several things. Ignition switch could be at fault as well as a dying battery. I will rule out the starter solenoid since its cranking. You could jump the starter and see if it cranks if it does is your ignition switch. I had a cranking issue with my car for a while now and it turned out to be my ignition switch. I replaced both switch and key cylinder and solved the problem.

J

#3 ·
It takes air, fuel and spark to run...…. check the automatic choke 1st...it may be hanging up, second- carb float, you may have a leakdown once the engine gets hot, 3rd- carb heat soak.

#5 ·
As stated above the engine needs 3 things to start and run. Air (a given), fuel, and a well timed spark. You need to do some trouble shooting to see if your missing spark or fuel. First look into the carb after you cranked it a bit and operate the throttle and see if you have 2 jets of fuel spraying. If there is fuel then move to spark. Remove the #1 spark plug wire stick a screw driver in the end of the wire and hold the screw driver metal shaft near the engine block or exhaust manifold approximately 1/8 inch. Have an assistant crank the engine and see if there is a good blueish spark.

#6 ·
Your profile is blank so we have no idea where you live. Death Valley, the north slope of Alaska on in the Himalayas will have different problems.

Sounds a lot like heat soak to me depending upon your definition of a 'few weeks'. A coolant leak will rarely cause a starting problem. An engine can start and run with zero coolant, it just won't live long afterwards.

#7 ·
You do need to post some car info so we can talk specifics. I think you need to look at this as a heat expansion problem. Some item is breaking down after everything is nice and hot. And your troubleshooting needs to be done when it craps out, not hours later when it is cold.

It could be several things: ignition switch, coil, points, carb, or a wire.

And you could have multiple issues including those mentioned above that hide things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.