Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Gt350HR
  • 1 Post By Ivy66GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Any Ideas What Wheels These Are

Hello, I am trying to find out what kind of wheels I have on my car. They are 14" and a couple people know have said that they are rare? Not that I believe that necessarily, but I would like to find out what kind they are as I am thinking of selling them. Thanks in advance! :-)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car01.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	611561  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Looks like a set of US Indy wheels like the ones that were on our '66 GT back in 1982. There should be a chromed plastic, bullet-shaped cap covering the center which attached using screws in those 5 holes visible in your photo. Rare is a relative term. They weren't rare 40 years ago. I sold the set of 4 with caps for $200 about 10 years ago.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

I agree with Ivy66... US Mags...but I'm betting that those (from the dull sheen look) are from that cars ear (ie not the 70's when aluminum was the "new" material....I'm betting those could very well be magnesium..... and now a days, whether it's mag or aluminum, in SoCal, they are "real Vintage" and people are paying good money for them...especially if they are magnesium.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Not rare "in the day" , could be now since so many were recycled. Ansen Engineering was the first to offer this altered copy of a Halibrand mag wheel. Others like US, ET , Shelby , Rocket , Apilance , Western and others made them by the millions. You could buy them for as little as 29.95 at one local speed shop chain. Some have a logo or name on the back side of the wheel , some don't and some were made in Japan.
Randy
rodbender and Beechkid like this.

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member

In Australia we used to call them Jellybean mags.
Very popular in the late 70's and early 80's.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

There were a slew of companies that made slotted wheels, look on the inner side or remove the tire and inspect for a name. You may get lucky. If they are actual magnesium, then they are rare.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Ok so I checked on the back of the wheel and they are Indy Mags. Any ideas on what I could ask for them?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

The ones I once owned were a dull finish aluminum with US Indy somewhere on the back side. When they were made or went on the car is unknown except that both were before I bought the car in 1982. The prior owner had bought the car from a used car lot in CA years before that so even he might not have known. All I know is that the guy I bought it from did not have the original wheels so I swapped them onto my Cougar parts car which I drove for 7 years before selling.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Five oval alloys. My 75 Gran Torino had those stock on it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Thank you all for the help so far! My next question is if I go to 15 inch tires (these https://www.cjponyparts.com/legendar...1973/p/W997-V/) am I looking at a drastic change in the speedometer reading? I know my current tires are 14" but not sure how wide.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Width of the tire has little to do with it. Its outer diameter that affects your speedo.

Original tires were the modern equivalent of 195/75x14.
Outer diameter = 14 + 2*195*0.75/25.4 = 25.5"

Using a 15" wheel and 205/70x15 the outer diameter is 3% larger
= 15 + 2*205*0.70/25.4 = 26.3"

Using a 15" wheel and 205/65x15 the outer diameter is nearly identical
= 15 + 2*205*0.65/25.4 = 25.5"

For 205/70x15 an indicated 60 MPH would actually be 60*1.03 = 62
Beechkid likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

First your speedometer is probably wrong anyway they are notorious for being 5-10 miles off even when new. The height of your tires isnt really an issue. Its the width that will give you fits. Especially the front tires if too wide or the wrong offset they can hit the fender at full turn. Have a friends stand on the front bumper after you turn the steering all the way to the lock. see how close the inside edge of the tire is to the fender? Not a lot of room. In the rear the wheel house goes up a ways allowing for taller tires. but again under full compression of the spring (like coming over a bump) the inner edge of the quarter panel comes very close to the tire.

Others here on the site have played with various offsets and tire sizes to get about the max width with out rubbing just do a search in this forum some reason 230/70 r 14 sticks out sabot the widest on stock rims

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I have owned about 6 of these cars in factory stock form and none of them had a speedo off by 5 MPH.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpelstiltskan View Post
Ok so I checked on the back of the wheel and they are Indy Mags. Any ideas on what I could ask for them?
Indy was one of the company's that have been gone for years now....they were a very good quality mfg!!!!! IIRR, Indy did not build the wheels out of mag...IIRR they were all aluminum..... but, especially if you have the center caps......yeah, you can get some $ for them....I you do a search for classic wheel parts there is a website that specializes in those items....the caps I have seen priced at $50 each or even higher depending on condition....guys who are looking for those specific vintage era wheels will be interested...it just may take a bit of time to sell.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I agree. The fellow who bought my set was looking specifically for wheels of that era. I don't remember what he was building but it wasn't a Mustang. My neighbor was a friend of his and knew my wheels were for sale. Otherwise, I might still have a For Sale sign on them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page