'68 Mustang hood won't open. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Grimbrand

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

'68 Mustang hood won't open.

I have a '68 Mustang that has been sitting under a tarp for more more years than I would like to admit. Well, I decided I wanted to start cleaning it up, but I cannot open the hood. I press the release, but it doesn't appear to disengage. It used to have spring pressure. Now, I push the arm up and it just hangs up there and the hood doesn't release and I can't raise the hood, no matter how hard I try.

Any tips on what I could do to get the hood released? Hopefully, I won't have to crawl under the car and try to unbolt the hood from the hinges with a long socket extension.

Thanks!

1968 Fastback - project car
1969 Sport roof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
I am going to go out on a limb here and take a wild guess, because I've seen this happen to a lot of people: Are you inside the car, messing with a black lever to try and release the hood?

Because that's actually the parking brake.

Outside the car, in the front, is a lever you must reach through the grill to pull toward youself, in order to get the hood to unlock. If it's very stubborn and doesn't move, it is possible the hood's just stuck. Sometimes a gentle blow with the heel of your hand will free it from its prison. If the spring to lift it is shot, you just have to either be strong enough to lift while you pull with your other hand, or else have a friend help you.

This is the best pic of the mechanism I could find; the two hooks just hold a bar on the hood, and that's it.

huberoy123, Beechkid and imps like this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here and take a wild guess, because I've seen this happen to a lot of people: Are you inside the car, messing with a black lever to try and release the hood?

Because that's actually the parking brake.

Outside the car, in the front, is a lever you must reach through the grill to pull toward youself, in order to get the hood to unlock. If it's very stubborn and doesn't move, it is possible the hood's just stuck. Sometimes a gentle blow with the heel of your hand will free it from its prison. If the spring to lift it is shot, you just have to either be strong enough to lift while you pull with your other hand, or else have a friend help you.

This is the best pic of the mechanism I could find; the two hooks just hold a bar on the hood, and that's it.
The part which secures the hood shut is this one. It is screwed into a nut welded to the hood underside, for adjustment purposes.

The dowel is clasped by a spring-loaded steel leaf which swings into place above the step behind it's head; the head faces downward into the latch mechanism you pictured. Pulling the release bar outward releases the clasp, and a spring pushes the hood upwards a short distance. Pulling the latch further to it's stop moves the two "hooks" shown back far enough to allow the hood to b e raised. Those two hooks are safety stops to prevent the wind from catching under the unlatched hood in the even it unlatches while driving forward. This is to protect against the hood from folding back over the windshield, blocking the driver's view of the road. The two hooks are a safety device not responsible for holding the hood fully closed.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Imps is right. I totally spaced the other part of the mechanism for the hood latch. BUT - the salient point is, it's all controlled by that pull tab up in front, not a lever you flip up or down. It moves horizontally, pulled toward you, and it's in the grill - not the black lever on the interior.

My car was broken into some time ago, and it was pretty clear that the thief was trying (and failing) to get into the engine compartment, using my parking brake.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member

It seems you all have missed the date of the car as a '68. The parts you showed are more like a '66.

1968 had the hook lock mechanism in the hood and just a bar at the radiator. There could be several reasons for it not working. You need to take a good look because it is fairly simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Latch Primed, 26 Mar 11, 001.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	611823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Hood Latch Dirty, 001.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	611825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repaint Lower Hood Latch,.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	611827  

1968, hardtop, 289, C4, seafoam green.
1966, hardtop, 289, original 3 speed, on the road and fun to drive.
1968, hardtop, 200, 3 speed, in work.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Wow, Driveway, I stand corrected! This is a pretty big difference between Cougars and Mustangs, as the '67-68 Cougars had the same mechanism. Didn't realize the '68 Stang had a different setup. Thanks.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
If you pull the hood latch lever and don't feel any spring resistance, the latch spring has probably gone away. It's probably a 2 man operation: one to pull and hold the latch lever while the other person tries to lift the hood. Also, the latch hook is a bit rusted or stiff with old grease and not releasing. You might be able to reach this with a long screwdriver from/through the grill while someone holds the latch handle. Your system should have the main latch hook and another safety double-hook. Once the primary hook is released the secondary safety hook will hold the hood partially open. I don't remember when the cable operated latches were installed but if you have one you'll still have to have someone pull the cable latch while someone lifts the hood (unless your latch cable has broken).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page