SOME electrical dissapeared - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PTilton

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Today, out of the blue, I turned the key to start my 66 pony. It started cranking and then suddenly (not like a weak battery) it just s th stopped cranking. I ended up having it towed home, but while headlights, horn, instrument panel and cigarette lighter appear to have full voltage, the run and accessory position have no apparent power. I'm thinking it has something to do with the ignition switch, the relay or the starter. Am I on the right track? Where and what should I start checking?

imps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTilton View Post
Today, out of the blue, I turned the key to start my 66 pony. It started cranking and then suddenly (not like a weak battery) it just s th stopped cranking. I ended up having it towed home, but while headlights, horn, instrument panel and cigarette lighter appear to have full voltage, the run and accessory position have no apparent power. I'm thinking it has something to do with the ignition switch, the relay or the starter. Am I on the right track? Where and what should I start checking?
Turn key ON, see if voltage appears at the ignition coil (not the grounded terminal). If yes, that suggests the ignition switch is not faulty. Next, have someone turn key to START position, while you check for voltage at the starter solenoid. Note it has two terminals for small wires. One is only energized when the solenoid operates; this sends full voltage to the coil, bypassing the Ignition Resistor. That's the wrong terminal, but no matter, if you get NO VOLTAGE at either terminal, ignition switch is likely the culprit. Or, a bad connection somewhere between the switch and the solenoid. There's a start for you.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the tips! I have new electrodes arriving this afternoon for my multimeter. I'll check it out tonight or tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTilton View Post
Turn key ON, see if voltage appears at the ignition coil (not the grounded terminal). If yes, that suggests the ignition switch is not faulty. Next, have someone turn key to START position, while you check for voltage at the starter solenoid. Note it has two terminals for small wires. One is only energized when the solenoid operates; this sends full voltage to the coil, bypassing the Ignition Resistor. That's the wrong terminal, but no matter, if you get NO VOLTAGE at either terminal, ignition switch is likely the culprit. Or, a bad connection somewhere between the switch and the solenoid. There's a start for you.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Only about .018 volts show at either the coil's positive terminal with the key in the "on" position or the relay with the key in either the "on" or "start" position. There is no break in the wire from the switch to the coil (it is a single, non-resistant wire, as I have a flamethrower coil so I have bypassed the pink resistor wire). I double checked all wiring to the ignition switch and don't see any anomalies.

I'm thinking ignition switch. Am I right?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok... It was not the switch. It was the ignition switch pigtail. Once it was changed out, all is now copasetic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page