Leaking driveshaft yoke - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
^^^^ this, quit trying to rationalize around this fact. Go get a new driveshaft made.
That would be unwise. The shaft was the right length before the springs were replaced. Best get that fixed so the car has the correct wheelbase and the rear axle is aligned properly. Heck, it may even be "dog tracking" down the road.

imps likes this.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

He stated earlier this has been an issue before the spring repair. It probably goes back to the transmission change. That's why I think the driveshaft is a wrong application to the current setup.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
He stated earlier this has been an issue before the spring repair. It probably goes back to the transmission change. That's why I think the driveshaft is a wrong application to the current setup.
He said that he changed the springs, not the tranny.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

My AOD has been brought down 3 times in the last 5 years, last time was last year when i paid to have it rebuilt and put in a new servo kit. I remember the leak stopped after this but then it came back several weeks later. The old springs were in such bad shape every time i drove over a pothole or bump my car's rear would come down so hard it would shook the vehicle badly. For a long time i pondered what could've dented my gas tank 2 years ago and i came to a conclusion the vehicle must've come down real hard on a bump and this is what caused the dent. It's very likely worn out springs and the installation of the new springs aggravated the situation even further. One thing is for sure the driveshaft is shorter by 2" or so. The car is great with the new springs and i have been more than happy at how it feels on the road. Best course of action will be to take the driveshaft to a shop and make it longer if it can't happen then buy a new one.

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191023_224137.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	611975   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_183152.jpg
Size:	611.4 KB
ID:	611977   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191023_223640.jpg
Size:	697.4 KB
ID:	611979  

1965 Mustang Resto-Modded with a classic charm
347 ci stroker 10:1 CR ( street warrior engine) Weiand Stealth,mild roller camshaft, intake ported to AFR 185 cc ,CompCams GOLD 1.6 Roller rockers, Hedman ceramic shorties
AOD stage 1(450 HP), 3.80 gears, MG Trac Lok LSD, 15" shoes
1970 Mustang fastback BOSS 302 tribute in the works..
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I had to wait about 2 weeks to get all new parts and then have it taken to the shop but as of now it was worth the wait. The new driveshaft length is excellent. The new 1310 U-joints are OEM specs to the pinion yoke and the new yoke is perfect. Spicer makes some real nice parts for sure. The seal went in fairly easy but smacking the sucker in place while laying under the car is a pain.. At a closer look the old driveshaft was in dire need of updating i'm glad it held up until now. Looking forward driving her tomorrow.

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_212014.jpg
Size:	841.9 KB
ID:	612213   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191108_211459.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	612215   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_204456.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	612217  
Grimbrand likes this.

347 ci stroker 10:1 CR ( street warrior engine) Weiand Stealth,mild roller camshaft, intake ported to AFR 185 cc ,CompCams GOLD 1.6 Roller rockers, Hedman ceramic shorties
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

No leaks and no vibration whatsoever! I took her on the expressway and it was pedal to the metal to test it and the driveshaft came through with flying colors. I'm done here so lets move on to the following thing..

J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in